Ranger 690vs fuel sending unit

rktaxi

Cadet
I have a 1995 Ranger 690vs, the gas gauge has quit, I have determined that it is the sending unit, I can see where it is, but does the front deck have to be taken up to change it? If so what is the best way to do that, it looks like the carpet has to be taken up to get to the bolts.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
A call to the Ranger factory should answer your question,......

Great people and a great boat,....................

rktaxi

Cadet
I did talk to them the other day, he said he thought part of the deck hinged up, but it does not, looks like I will need to cut an access hole. But I do have another call into them to verify that.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Since senders do break, a lot of boats will have a port or a removable panel to provide access to them. My SeaRay had a carpet-covered panel that removed with 4 screws to expose the entire fuel tank. My SeaSwirl has a round "pop-out" hatch that covers the sender.

rktaxi

Cadet
I can take off an inspection plate amd see the tank and the sending unit, but there is only about 2" between the top of the tank and the bottom of the front deck, will see what Ranger says when I talk to them again, but looks like I'll have to cut a hole.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Normally you would remove the 5 screws holding the sender to the tank, pull it straight up and out. Universal senders are available.

rktaxi

Cadet
I will post a pic tomorrow, I don't think there is enough room to pull it out, there is only about 2" from the top of the tank to the bottom of the deck.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Cool,.......

Traffic on WC picks up when folks go back to work on Monday,.........lol,..

Hopefully someone that has done it will respond,...........

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, I had thought the hatch was directly over the sender. Since it is not, can you slide the tank until It is? If not, all you can do is replace the electrical connectors and hope that is the issue.

rktaxi

Cadet
The inspection hole is in the end of the deck not on top and is about 4" X 6", there is no room to get to anything in there, what you see in the picture is the front deck directly over the sending unit. I have a call into Ranger, will see what they say, but pretty sure I am going to have to cut a hole in the deck.

rktaxi

Cadet
Talked to Ranger again, looks like I will be cutting a hole in the deck and putting in a deck plate.