Sun Ray boats?

I am looking at one on Craigslist; it definitely says "SUN Ray" NOT "SEA Ray". yet when I try to look it up on Google I keep getting returns for "Sea Ray. Not even "Do you mean"...?
the boat is a 1987; I have owned a couple boats previously. I am not too worried about the engine though it is supposed to be good;
It is priced such that though I hope it has a good engine it is about 1/2 the size the seller says the boat is rated for and my mom has one closer to that size collecting dust in the garage from when her and Dad had their boat that I know is good.... so even if the motor that comes with it is good, I may swap
the only issue the boat is supposed to have is stiff steering. I have not yet been to see the boat, am still trying to convince my wife that we can afford "a" boat in general... but before I look at this one I want to know a few things about "Sun Ray Boats" This is a 17' deep V open bow fiberglass boat.
The only brand I hear to "stay away" from is Bayliner.... (that is largely from another site LOL)
As long as the boat itself is in good shape I am not too worried about buying a boat from a maker that is no longer in business since motor, electrics, and rigging was all "sourced out" and not boat manufacturer specific anyways... and having had a couple of boats I am not afraid of a little "fix up" as long as it isn't structural.

Earp

Seaman Apprentice
Yup, lots of Sun Rays up in these parts, my family has owned 2 over the years. Like any boat if it was maintained well they are a decent boat. Just have a good look at the transom. I'm guessing the 17footer is an out board? If so give the motor a bit of a lift by hand and you should be able to feel how solid the transom is. Mine had a large splash well and not much room to get at the transom without taking the cap off the boat. Good luck. Our 17 had a 115 merc and screamed like a daemon.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

I/O or outboard? (Sounds like outboard) If it's in good structural shape (great list of what to look for HERE), then I wouldn't be afraid of it. I don't know the Sun Ray brand well, but even the Bayliners can be good boats if well cared for. If there's a hint of structural problems - wet wood in particular - I'd pass.

In a boat approaching 30 years old, brand means nearly nuthin'. It's all about condition.

yup its an outboard. Current owner says original was a 70HP Merc that they blew up a few years ago and since have had a couple of duds before they found a good running 55 HP Johnson. At one time they had an Evin 115 on it and they said it screamed; I have zero exp with merc outboards everything I have ever had has been OMC

Last edited:

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If it is cheap enough go for it. You already have a spare motor if the 55 does not work out. The 55 can be sold to help recover some of the purchase price. If you switch motor brands you will also need the controls and wiring that goes with that motor. Condition is everything. Most of the fiberglass does not know who manufactured the boat. There have been a lot of boat companies go out of business that built good quality boats.

southkogs

Staff member
If it's been powered by up to 115HP, and currently has a 55HP, check the MAX HP rating on the boat. You want a boat with at least 75% MAX HP. If she's rated for 100 HP, a 70 HP will push it nicely but a 55HP will be a slug. If it's rated at 115HP, then when you water test with the 55 we won't need to explain anything to ya' ;)

the seller said it was supposedly rated for 135 max. dead issue though as I talked to the guy last weekend about it, he texted me 2X then about it shortly afterwards (I HATE texting btw--nother issue) I took a ride to see it today if only to see what $x would buy me as I am out of the loop since I have not had a boat in about 6 years; I am familiar with his area so I took a ride (he said it was out in his front yard) and didn't see any boat that looked like his CL picture of it; I called and he said it sold a few days ago. so the search continues