buying a used boat for first time.

vanvranken

Seaman
buying a used boat for the first time.is there anything I should pay special attention too?i already looked at a 1995 celebrity status 240 br.boat appiread to be in great shape except a couple of soft spots in decking.witch made left me undecided .only because I do not know what to expect from a older used boat.looking at anthor boat tomorrow.same boat just different year 1994 and color.told floors are solid.my other question is .can a floor be made solid temperaly to try and pass the problem on to someone else???thank you

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Yeah, a soft spot in the deck is not a good sign, and for most of us, it's enough to lead us to move on and look at other boats. (Boats tend to rot from the bottom up, so a soft spot in the deck is often just the tip of the iceberg. Not always, but often...)

There is a really useful post on the first page of this forum that addresses your question: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist

I strongly suggest you read it and then post additional questions that come up. I think you'll find it to be very handy.

Good luck!

olddawgsrule

Seaman
I agree with JA! Rot tends to happen 'bottom upwards'.
My experience with older boats has shown that the 'ballast' foam below is soaked and needs to be removed/replaced (depending on your thought).
Now this is a '95, so I'm having a hard time believing the foam is 'soaked", but.. I'm not familiar with the Manufacture..
If it was mass produced, and priced as an 'entry level' boat, If it was moored and not covered, Does the rest of the boat look like it was 'cared for'?

I'd have serious concerns.. and looking at price very closely..

Just my 2 cents from buying a few I should have paid more attention to.

vanvranken

Seaman
I haven't seen boat in person yet.I go tomorrow.from pics the boat looked like it was really cared for.but just pics.ill have more answers tomorrow.i also read check list.one thing I am confused on is how to check outdrive on drry land.it says put in gear but then says not too????

southkogs

Staff member
It would be okay to start the engine in the on land with muffs running water to it. You can even put it in and out of gear. I just wouldn't run it very long. Remember though, the drive acts differently in the water under load, and that's really where you wanna' see it go.

vanvranken

Seaman
guys thanks for the info.the checklist forum help big time.bought my first boat today.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Congratulations! But there is a rule here: pictures required or it didn't happen!

vanvranken

Seaman
No Title

Attachments

• photo208616.jpg
    photo208616.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo208617.jpg
    photo208617.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo208618.jpg
    photo208618.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo208619.jpg
    photo208619.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo208620.jpg
    photo208620.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 0

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you plan to do any boating at night? If so, would looking over the windshield be a problem?

Personally, I would keep them. We have a baby though and we sometimes have to get creative with finding enough shade even with our bimini and portable sun shade up. Figure tints would give us a little more shade, however little that is. I don't have them but am considering it. My brother put tints on his boat last year and he likes them. He doesn't get too much more shade but his bimini seems to provide more coverage. From a purely subjective standpoint - I think they look cool. Keep 'em!

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Looks good!

When seated at the helm, is your line of sight through or over the windshield? The tint may be a non-factor if you are tall.

vanvranken

Seaman
my first boat buy didn't go so well.from the deck layover to not being able to reg trailer as of right now.but it is what is is.floor can be fixed.