New to boating

wilhelmD

Cadet
ok i live in texas where im finding out that you need a title for just about everything. my question is do i need a title for my motor too? im looking at a 86 thundercraft with a 3.0 mercrusier in it? also if anyone has any experience with them any info would be great. from reading on here im guessing i should get around 40mph outta it. oh and in the add its posted as a 20ft boat but i cant find any 20ft of that year so im guessing thats a typeo

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Top speed will depend greatly on the condition of the boat and motor. A heavy water logged boat won't go nearly as fast as a nice dry boat.

Just guessing, but I'd say if the numbers on the motor match the #s on the boat title you should be good.

wilhelmD

Cadet
but i cant go and look at it till friday but the pictures make it look real clean but thats just pictures

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
New flooring? Hopefully not to cover rotten stringers underneath. But if the rest is solid and it runs well, $1200 not too bad.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

For $1200, you can't go too far wrong. If the drivetrain is really in good shape, between that and the trailer and other parts, you would be able to recoup your money, if it came down to that. Try offering a little less to start. Garbageguy makes a good point, though.

Regarding titling the motor, I highly doubt it. In the states that require it, I'm pretty sure it only applies to outboards.

pckeen

Commander
Ditto on the above. If that is actually a restored boat, then $1200 is a great price. However....

Check out the restoration threads to see what a 'real' restoration is. Ask the seller why the restoration was done. If the floor was spongy - did they just replace the floor boards, or stringers too, or just the carpet, or did the just put in new flooring over the old. If they just put down new wood over the old, then what has been done is a patch job that is simply disguising the problems underneath. Same questions about the engine - what do they mean by 'fully restored': did the engine get a total rebuild, or did they just clean the carbs?

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Make sure you water test it, and that trailer looks TINY compared to boat, make sure you lock the coupler down real well,

wilhelmD

Cadet
yea they live next to a lake so i figured if they wouldnt take it out theres gotta be a big problem then is there any known issues about these boats i should look for?

wilhelmD

Cadet
and with that mention about the tiny trailer do you think if i added another axle to it it would help it. and i also dont know yet if it has trailer breaks. i plan on hauling it with my 01 ranger 4.0 4x4 supercab i believe it has the 4.05 mybe the 4.10 rearend in it

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
I prefer the transom to be supported by at least the bunks, thats where the most weight is otherwise it will wiggle real bad, longer trailer would be the ticket

wilhelmD

Cadet
ok ill look into that and also the trailers with rollers instead of the wooden planks are they that much better? im guessing it should help with loading but not sure if worth the extra money

wilhelmD

Cadet
im guessing the bunks are the boards that it rides on so if that is true wouldnt i just be able to put a longer board there instead of new trailer?

wilhelmD

Cadet
also i have a prop from a 150 hp mercry max outboard any chance that would fit on this boat.. its a 4 blade stainless

wilhelmD

Cadet
i know im all over the place but how big of a trowling motor do guys think ill need to pull it around fishing?