Open boats and cruising in the rain - staying dry?

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is an interesting idea.

I spent some time at Kabelaz and BazzProZhopz looking around. It looks like all the "high priced" Gore Tex guide wear and the like all have taped seams and the zippers with the rubber seals. Those zippers with the rubber seals are exactly where my pants failed me. I got to looking at the Grund'ens bibs and jackets - rubber coated cotton duck. They look like the most "waterproof" offerings, but it seems to me the rubber coating would wear off with little use.
l[/url]

If you are looking at Grundens, then the rubber does not wear off, they will outlast any ten pairs of Gore Tex bibs or jackets.

There is cheaper rubber rain gear on the market that may not last as long, but Grundens are heavy duty.

Yes I know people will say they've owned brand "X" breathable rain gear and it worked great, and some are very good, but when it comes to staying dry in a downpour day after day on a boat, rubber wins every time. In warmer temps it does get uncomfortable and I switch to breathable gear though.

reelfishin

Captain
I agree, Grundens are the best thing going, but you could also think about some sort of enclosure?
How about a bimini top with some sort of side curtains on three sides?
I ran a bimini top on my one boat years ago and had clear curtains made which closed off the front to the top of the windshield and the sides to the gunwales. That set up was great for fall/winter striper fishing or just rainy days on the water.