Open boats and cruising in the rain - staying dry?

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got to try out my rain gear last Sunday on the lake. It pretty much rained the entire day I was out (around 7-8 hours on the lake) and I covered 70-80 miles. In that time I had water get in through my neck opening in my jacket as well as the front zipper. The first place I noticed water, though, was the run off from my jacket on my pants - it ran in the left zipper vent (closed, but has a rubber seal when the zipper is shut). I think just the amount of water, and not just rain - but the collection of it both on-the-go and what pooled on my pants - was what did it. If I wasn't running down the lake and standing I probably would have been a lot dryer.

So my question is what kinds of rain gear do you have and what have you found that works when you are on-the-go? I have read some threads about waders. I have a pair of neoprene hunting waders (fixed boots) that I could wear, but only in cold weather as they don't breathe and it seems to me the last few times I've used them they leak (not sure where). Are pants with suspenders/chest waders better than waist-high? what kinds of jackets? How do you seal up the neck opening? How to you keep your head dry with wind blowing your hood open?

The temperature the day I was out was still in the 70's, but much colder and that would have been a disaster of a day. The rest of my gear was in a Pelican case and 2 kayak style dry sacks - no issues there.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
You never said what brand of rain gear you were wearing.

I like Frog Toggs rain gear, there's probably better out there... but for the price you can't beat a set of Toggs.

In cold weather I wear this stuff while out on the water:
https://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor1.php

Waterproof, light, warm, and 1 suit is buoyant enough to keep 3 people afloat.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Wearing waders on a boat is suicide. You fall in, you might as well be wearing cement boots.....

I cheat...I have a workaround with full enclosure. Wind, rain or snow have any affect ;)

My normal winter attire consists of Carharrt insulated coveralls, wool socks muck boots and a stocking cap. If I'm crazy enough to fish with one of my CC friends, I wear a Grundens jacket and bib over top my coveralls to keep dry.

http://www.grundens.com/index.php#

Last edited:

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
You never said what brand of rain gear you were wearing.

I like Frog Toggs rain gear, there's probably better out there... but for the price you can't beat a set of Toggs.

Toggs pants, I figured I would try them for $25. Though, I found their weak spot - vents, and they don't go past my waist. My jacket is similar to a Marmot Precip, may be the same one I'll have to look at it.

Wearing waders on a boat is suicide. You fall in, you might as well be wearing cement boots.....

That isn't true, unless the waders are super heavy themselves. If they are full with water then the water inside will balance with the water outside once full. There is no more weight then the weight of the waders at that point. Yea, they may make getting OUT of the water harder, but they certainly won't drag you to the bottom.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You guys are tough. If it rains, the boat stays parked in the yard.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Yea, they may make getting OUT of the water harder, but they certainly won't drag you to the bottom.
Getting back into a boat when fully clothed is hard enough, if not impossible w/o help. Tie another #100 on your legs and it's darn near impossible even with help. Throw in a good case of cold shock and the associated impairments and your chances of survival are about nil. With the cold water gear of today, there is absolutely no reason to risk the perils of waders to stay dry on a boat.

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I use Cabelas Guideware for tournament walleye fishing,..........

Hasn't failed me yet,............

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We fish year round in open boats and I have a huge selection of rain gear.

Rubber "will" keep you dry, the problem is the hoods don't seal that well at your chin and neck. The bibs are the way to go, waist high is a mistake, I use rubber bibs about 90% of the time if it's actually going to be raining and nasty. The jacket is chosen depending on the exact situation. Facing forward and driving I go with waterproof breathable and a very good neck closure. When new a jacket like this can work well, as they age their ability to keep you dry tends to fade.

As a passenger I stick with rubber and face backwards, at 30 mph rubber facing forward can act like funnel and your chest will get soaked. Rubber isn't the most comfortable stuff, and depending on how active you are you may sweat, but it will keep the rain out.

Neoprene chest waders are buoyant, so you won't sink while wearing them, they may allow your lower body to float higher than your head though. This isn't a big problem if you're conscious, unconscious and no life jacket may not have a good result.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
[h=1]Cab ela's Tourney Trail® Dry-Plus® Parka THEy have gotten pretty expensive ($179), but when on clearance I was able to pick up the parka for $59.[/h] Tripple storm flap front zip, 4 cargo pockets, 3 inside pockets, and neoprene inner cuffs.
Got the matching bibs as well.

When its warm out, I just use a $34 set from walmart.

undone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The way the site works now it makes the posts from my phone into one long paragraph and no option to edit.

Went home and fixed it.

Last edited:

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good info. I will check out the gear suggestions posted herein when I get a bit more time.

The boat I was running is a tiller style and I was pretty much facing straight on all day long. I did take a tip I learned when bike riding - wear safety glasses and it will keep bugs and rain out of your eyes. So that helped a ton with being able to run full throttle all day, but keeping the water out and staying dry didn't work too well for me that day.

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is an interesting idea.

I spent some time at Kabelaz and BazzProZhopz looking around. It looks like all the "high priced" Gore Tex guide wear and the like all have taped seams and the zippers with the rubber seals. Those zippers with the rubber seals are exactly where my pants failed me. I got to looking at the Grund'ens bibs and jackets - rubber coated cotton duck. They look like the most "waterproof" offerings, but it seems to me the rubber coating would wear off with little use. Then the question of breathe-ability is an issue. I'd rather have something that I can wear when it is in the 70degF or 35degF depending on how I layer up inside. Something breathable would be the best option for the warmer temps, but cooler and the rubber stuff wouldn't be too bad.

As for keeping my face/head/neck dryer maybe one of these would work :) http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-face-shield-46526.html

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
The only time I have had a failure with the kabelaz guideware is after a fishing partner stuck a crankbait in my leg and I had to cut the guideware, my pants, And some of my leg to get the crankbait out,............

I have been known to use a snowmobile helmet in the early spring and late fall,........

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
And if you watch for sales during the winter the almost always close out the previous years style,...

A couple of years ago I got the guideware bibs, parka, with a free giant tackle bag and free shipping for 229,...........

That was a great deal,............

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I wear a Kokatat gortex drysuit when kayaking in the colder months. They are pricey but keep you dry even if you go for a swim.