1974 Glastrom boat

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer
Hi, I haven't been here in quite some time because my 1973 Silverline Comoro is still my boat. But, I did have to pay to have the Mercrusier drive rebuilt 2 year ago and it cost 600 dollars. I love the old Silverline but, she is getting quite rough.

Today while driving through my local small town I saw a 1974 Glastrom sterndrive. It looked like new. I flipped up the lid on the engine compartment and saw something I did not recognize. I could not see any tag or numbers on the drive unit either. The drive unit is white in color. I called the owner and he said it's a Volvo engine and he thinks it's a Mercruiser drive. This doesn't sound at all right to me. Does anyone know what the drive unit could be and what I'm looking at? It doesn't quite look like the OMC drives I've seen but, I'm not saying it isn't. I wasn't really looking for a new boat. I just happened to see this one and it's sooo clean.

The boat is sweet and looks really clean for it's age. The transom looks good and everything in the boat looks just like the day it was made. The owner says it was always stored inside, has all the canopy , and all the other parts to go with it that are in good shape. He even has the original sales receipt and all the broachers that were sold with the boat then new. His price is too high but, he will negotiate . I can even drop it in the water and take it for a test.

I just don't know that that drive is? Where would I look for the tag, number, or other identification numbers?

southkogs

Staff member
If it's a white outdrive and has a black rubber boot at the transom, it's likely an OMC. If it's a white outdrive mounted to the transom without a big rubber boot, then it may be a Volvo sterndrive. If it's black, it's probably a Mercruiser.

You can Google all of those and get a vibe for what they look like.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Early Glastrons were noted to be equipped with Volvo sterndrives. Nothing wrong with them. Early Glastrons were known to have floors the rotted out so double check there, carefully. Early Glastrons were also light hulls and a bit thin topsides. But, they were well designed.

On the other hand, I still have my 1971 V153 (owned it since new) and will probably never give it up. I also am restoring a GT 150 (James Bond boat).

Glastron did originate the deep Vee hull and was extensively copied during the 1970s. You will probably either love it or hate it--no in between. Go to the Glastron owners site and look up your year and hull type. The literature should tell you the standard outdrivewith which it came equipped.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 73 Comoro 19V still in pretty good condition for it's age. I look at other boats but still love my Silverline for some reason.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ah, the Comoro. I learned to slalom ski behind my brothers 74 Comoro with a Evinrude 150 outboard. The boat would flat out scream on glass with only the two of us in it, and would yank me out of the water in no time. The boat is still sitting in his barn, and was running well when it was put away. It has been there for something like 14 years, and I thought about trying to bring her back to life. I understand the trailer tires gave way a long time ago, and I would bet mice have gotten into it. After about a month of contemplating whether I was up to the task, I gave up and bought a running boat - maybe someday we will get the Silverline back in the water. I did love the look of that boat...