Need help....

akyla

Seaman Apprentice
Good day. In Russia, in my service on repair of the boat brought the boat from USA. The motor does not start. I don't know how the motor is called. There is no information anywhere.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Akyla,

From your pictures it appears you have a jet-drive boat with a V8 gasoline engine. I do not recognize the engine from your picture, but it appears to have a 4-barrel carburetor and I assume plenty of horse power. If the engine " turns-over" when trying to start, I would check for spark, then squirt some "starting fluid" into the carburetor and turn it over again. If it starts for a brief second or so, the problem is with the fuel supply and you will need to check why the carburetor is not allowing gasoline to enter the carb.

Best of luck,
erie_guy
Port Clinton, Ohio

akyla

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Well. Today will check compression and spark. Help to find the name of the motor

Attachments

• photo208017.jpg
    photo208017.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo208022.jpg
    photo208022.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The motor looks to me like a small block GM motor due to the configuration of the rear distributor.

akyla

Seaman Apprentice
Checked - no spark. The problem is in the distributor. maybe there is one electrical circuit of the ignition?

Last edited:

akyla

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Attachments

• photo208015.jpg
    photo208015.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yep that's a small block chevy... also it has an automotive HEI distributor... It has no place on a boat BUT is easy to diagnose..... First there will be one wire that plugs into the dist cap that is 12v positive to run (likely the red wire in your pic... also there is a spot for a tachometer signal and another plug that goes to the module under the cap.

Been a while but best I can remember the positive connection (key on) is marked on the cap with either 12+ or bat.

If you have no power there it will not run.....

Also go up to the helm and look for a safety tether connection... IE you clip the tether to your life jacket and if you are thrown out it kills the engine... If you have one of those and it isn't attached the engine will not run.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I would HIGHLY recommend that you acquire a proper marine distributor.... the advance curve in the auto dist is wrong for a boat, the vacuum advance is wrong and you don't need it AND most importantly and auto dist has no spark protection and could more readily ignite fuel vapors blowing you to bits
something like this: http://www.iboats.com/Flame-Thrower...3438722--session_id.902468019--view_id.221755

Also there is a good chance you have an auto alternator and starter.... Marine units there are very important too.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
whoops... gotta heap a little more on ya... ALSO check your fuel pump... a marine unit will have provisions to route fuel to the carb in the event of a ruptured diaphragm instead of into the bilge where it could, again, blow you to bits

akyla

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you very much for the recommendations. Fuel goes well. The distributor comes with a 12+. Sparks no. We need to change the distributor?
this boat is rare in Russia. This motor has no parts and instructions for repair. In appearance, this powerful motor. It was further developed in America in the workshop..

akyla

Seaman Apprentice
Good day! Bought a new distributor. Need how to connect the wires. Who has the distributor wiring diagram?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
There are several distributors that would fit that motor and they are wired differently.

The firing order of that engine is most likely 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2

Would need to know what distributor you have to say how to wire it

akyla

Seaman Apprentice
Спасибо! Попробуем.. oops, thank you - try it.