Pool noodle flotation verdict?

sublauxation

Lieutenant
It's been at least a couple years since the pool noodle discussions as replacement for the factory foam and I was wondering if anybody out there who's used them have had any issues. I'm hoping to start redoing mine this fall and I have a stash of noodles built up.

Ned L

Commander
Filling a space with 'pool noodles' that was previously filled with factory original foam will not provide the same amount floatation as the factory original floatation, and will therefore most likely leave you NOT meeting the C.G. requirement for reserve bouyancy.

Last edited:

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've noticed the older noodles left in my pool have absorbed water and do not dry out completely even after a few days. I wouldn't use them for boat flotation.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The USCG requirement is only for manufacturers. But why wouldn't you want to meet the standard, right? I bought a bunch of noodles to use, but have abandoned that plan as they do not offer the flotation many expect them to

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A few knocks against noodles. They do absorb water, which you don't want of course. And the big hole in the middle and round shape means you don't get the same amount of flotation for the same volume of any foam. You end up with as almost as much air void as noodle

What are you working on? Tin or glass?

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I used pool noodles in my restoration a few years ago, but more to deaden noise than for flotation (works great for that). I may remove them and use foam when I remove and replace the built-in lounge seats over the winter.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
This should be reposted next April 1st. Noodles for floatation are a joke.

jbcurt00

Staff member
a single noodle won't float 25lbs of weight

a single noodle will 'float' my 225lbs because I'm 'naturally buoyant

a cubic foot of pour in expanding foam will float 62lbs

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
noodles do not give any structural support to the boat, and have minimal flotation value for dead weight. Foam will fill in the whole cavity and add strength to the boat, stiffening the hull and deck surfaces that it wedges against making a boat that is more solid and vibrates or rattles around less.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
My suggestion for floatation would be to use plastic soda bottles with the caps on tight, or glued on. Put a heavy plastic bag in the compartment that you want to use for floatation, stuff as many soda bottles in the bag as you can, then fill the bag with two-part closed-cell foam (NOT the "Great Stuff" foam that you get at your local Chinamart!).

The reason for the bottles is to take up space and reduce the amount of expensive two-part foam needed. The reason for the heavy plastic bag is 1) another barrier against water infiltration, and 2) contain the bottles and foam. The reason for the foam is to displace air and keep water out, as well as keep bottles in place and keep them from rattling.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, the good news about soda bottles is that after your boat sinks, it will send one of those to the surface every once in a while. This will make finding your wreck a lot easier for the salvagers.

Gee - spend a few bucks, foam the hull the correct way and be safe.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
How much flotation do you get from a boat full of waterlogged foam like most of the old boats are running around with?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
How much flotation do you get from a boat full of waterlogged foam like most of the old boats are running around with?

None, but iboaters are supposed to be smarter than the average boater that neglects his boat and lets it become saturated due to water intrusion (key words are supposed to be).

Pool noodles are actually the most expensive method for installing floatation when you measure cost and lbs. of buoyancy provided per cubic foot.

Pool noodles are the easiest to install and they do provide an excellent amount of false security to those that don't know any better.

Capped plastic bottles are considered debris, not floatation.

Donate your pool noodles to the swimming pool at the YMCA or other community pool and go out and buy USCG approved floatation material.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I am very secure that my boat has a lot less chance of sinking than before I restored it. I am not fooling myself that the noodles will keep it afloat. Nor should I fool myself that the minuscule amount of foam that the manufacturer had installed would have kept it afloat. I removed it all but there really wasn't very much.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
The worst thing about floatation foam is that... not enough floatation foam is just like not having any floatation foam, and it's hard to get "enough"noodles in the same amount of space as a more dense/solid floatation foam.

Here's an old but good thread that will help someone figure out how many/much pool noodles it will take to float their boat:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...epair/396815-the-truth-about-noodles?t=387186

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
1) how are plastic bottles going to float to the top when they are properly foamed in? They will provide as much or more buoyancy than foam alone, and they won't become waterlogged.

2) plastic bottles may be considered debris, depending on what context you find them in. Is it not better to put them to good effective re-use rather than contributing to the ever-growing landfills?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
2) plastic bottles may be considered debris, depending on what context you find them in. Is it not better to put them to good effective re-use rather than contributing to the ever-growing landfills?

Plastic recycles.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Well, the good news about soda bottles is that after your boat sinks, it will send one of those to the surface every once in a while. This will make finding your wreck a lot easier for the salvagers.

Gee - spend a few bucks, foam the hull the correct way and be safe.

So what is the 'correct' way? The way the manufacturers do it from the factory? You confused 'correct' with 'cheapest' and easiest/quickest. If manufacturers had a better way like the bottle method mentioned above, the rebuilding subforum wouldn't exist! The manufacturers way also tends to absorb moisture and never let go.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Resto forum would still exist. Owners would just find new, different and otherwise interesting ways to force a resto.