Intro & Few Questions

So in h.s. parents started us out with a '88 Bayliner 14/15' (whatever it was exactly! Lol) w/ a Force 50hp ob. Dad then traded that beast in on a '91 VIP Victory (20/21') w/ a 5.0 2bl Cobra i/o. Whenever time (and money! Lol) allowed I usually would be out on the boat (always trailered) with friends (including girlfriend who is now my wife), most time for the better part of the day (at least 8-10hrs+) skiing, tubing, or just relaxing.

My wife and I are considering adding a boat to the family in the future (no time frame set at the moment, taking this slowly to learn what is exciting and new!
We have not gone and looked at any boats other than being on a friends '05 FW. Wife did fall in love with Mariah's when we considered a boat about 12-13yrs ago, but unfortunately they are no longer in business as I have learned (not sure exact reasons though)!

Few questions: As a comparison to todays motors, does anyone know the horsepower of the '91 5.0 2bl Cobra?
I have tried searching but can not find the rating. I THINK it was about 190, MAYBE 200hp. Also, I think the VIP was a little heavier boat if anyone knows? Some reason around 5klbs come to mind, but that may have been including the trailer and fluids???

Boats I am willing to consider pending wife's approval! Lol, Bayliner- I know this is a more entry level boat that may not have the fit & finish of other boats. Saving money by having removable seats for storage access instead of on hinges, etc.

Glastron- Sounds like this is a little bit of a step up from the Bayliner, but from what I have found only has a 5yr warranty on the hull structure???

Four Winns- Lots of features and options. Price reflects the options as well. From what I have found though the warranty is only able to be transferred up to 5yrs from the date of purchase. If that's the case, so much for the lifetime structure warranty.

Crownline- Sounds like this is a small step above the FW in regards to the warranty from what I have found. Haven't found if the warranty is transferable, and if so if there is a time limit ?.

Monterey- Not really sure where this boat falls in the quality ladder. Any feedback?

I know there are a few other nice boats out there, BUT, and maybe this is being very picky, I like the standard (I will call it) sport seating without the "open" walkway. Now if a cushion is hinged hiding a walkway. that's ok. I am thinking a bowrider in the 18-21' range for our family of 4. But looking to have room for another family (up to 4, maybe 5) to join.

Motor wise I will be looking at least a 4.3 for a 18/19', and hoping for a 5.0 in the 20/21'. So of the boats listed (or any other suggesting for hidden walkway boats), who has the best warranty and is transferable if used? Or is the warranty not really a major concern? Which are all fiberglass construction?

From what I have read, Glastron no longer has the VEC, but lists all fiberglass?

We definitely will be keeping this boat a while, so last thing I want is any issues. Hard to say at this time, but will probably trailer it as well to prevent possibility of any blistering from sitting in the water for any extended periods of time. Exception will be when we go camping Up North (Northern Mi) and leave the boat in while there. Also, I found a dealer that seems to have very nice, clean looking (via their website only) boats, some with what seems like ridiculously low hours???
Example: '02 Montery 5.0 GL with ONLY 25hrs. They have others with similar hours, ranging up to 300, but most under 200. '07/'08's with maybe 100-150hrs. Anything seem out of the ordinary with these?

I know a dealer will be priced higher than from a private seller, this particular dealer per the website includes a 1yr limited warranty on the motor & lower unit. As for towing or the tv (tow vehicle), I am very comfortable towing (have a 30' travel trailer, 16' tandem axle utility trailer), and plenty of truck- '13 2500HD.

Sorry for the very long first post! TY for the info in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the duplicate and messed up, no paragraph post! Not sure what happened. Maybe the Ipad and the site?

Tried to edit from the computer, but get an error for some reason.

lg260ss

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If you are buying a used boat, warranty should be on the bottom of your list of must haves. Lifetime structural warranties don't mean much anyway. What is important is the condition of the boat and how it was kept. It doesn't matter what boat you buy (new or used) it will have some issues and the warranty is only as good as the dealer you buy the boat from. If you buy a boat from a dealer that is far away from you, warranty issues are a pain because you have to bring the boat to them. Read the fine print on a used boat warranty to make sure you understand the limitations of the warranty.
My top choices for a boat that size are:
Cobalt
Regal
Monterey
Chaparral

Most builders have used a walk thru transom design for several years now. It's going to be hard to find a more recent bowrider without it. It makes boarding the boat much easier and a 19'+ bowrider has plenty of seating with it.

lg260ss,

TY for the advice! I figure a boat, regardless if used or new will need some form of "tlc" just like a rv. I figure if do go decide to get a boat I will keep the search within a couple hours, but as you mentioned still windshield time to return to the selling dealer if there is a warranty.

So the structural warranties don't hold very much weight then?

Is there the possibility of having not enough hours on a boat? Like an '02 with an alleged 24hrs?

pckeen

Commander
With warranties you would have to check with the manufacturer, but I understand that a number of 'lifetime structural warranties' may only apply to the original owner of the boat - in other words, when you sell it, the warranty is gone.

If a boat isn't used at all, then you can have problems with things like seals drying out and cracking etc. If you are looking at spending $8-$15k (I'm guessing that's the budget, based on what you are looking at), then get the boat inspected by an independent dealer, or even better, get a boat survey.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Need A Vacation = What's the main use of the boat? Watersports (skiing, tubing, etc.) or just cruising and hanging out?

Two (regular) things tend to happen with boats that cause low hours: buyer buys and doesn't really use and the thing gets neglected, or buyer buys and can't afford to use and the boat winds up as a used boat for sale again ... Both can cause issues, but neither necessarily say that there ARE issues.

Condition is the key with used boats. You want one that works well and was well taken care of - and that will honestly make more difference than the original manufacturer in most of the things you look over.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You'll see this advice over and over and over. In the age and price range that you're considering, it's all about condition, condition, condition. Two similar age boats can be worlds apart in value and water worthiness. Each boat must be evaluated on its own merits. Brand doesn't matter as much. A well cared for Bayliner stored dry may be a better value than a Cobalt parked under a tree year-round for 10 years. If buying from a dealer, you MAY find better boats, but any warranty is only as good as the dealer. Good luck. My only boating regret is that I didn't buy one sooner.

TY to all! Makes sense concerning the seals possibly drying out from sitting. On the warranty, just wondered since some manufactures state "Transferable", which is why I asked. As mentioned, really just starting to consider a boat, so a budget hasn't even been considered yet. If things do progress, and work out in like I prefer, the budget would probably be the upper end of what pckeen posted, if not a little more depending on the particular boat. Hopefully the post from the ipad doesn't make one big paragraph again! Lol TY again!