Fuel Tank?

Oregon Jonny

Cadet
I recently bought an older (1969) 17' Fiberglass tri hull. It has not been ran for several years and from what I can tell the little bit of fuel that is still in the tank is a bit nasty. The boat has a Mercruiser inboard and a built in 12gal metal fuel tank. The tank is glassed in and I really would like to avoid cutting fiberglass dealing with the tank and then glassing it back in. My question is can I use a above board tank like the ones used for outboards ?? Sorry if this sounds like dumb question but I have never had to deal with a inboard setup before.

Bondo

Staff member
I recently bought an older (1969) 17' Fiberglass tri hull. It has not been ran for several years and from what I can tell the little bit of fuel that is still in the tank is a bit nasty. The boat has a Mercruiser inboard and a built in 12gal metal fuel tank. The tank is glassed in and I really would like to avoid cutting fiberglass dealing with the tank and then glassing it back in. My question is can I use a above board tank like the ones used for outboards ?? Sorry if this sounds like dumb question but I have never had to deal with a inboard setup before.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Sure, No problem, Go for it,...

thumpar

Admiral
It would work but you could also try to clean up the tank. Use the line that goes to the fuel pump and suck as much of the nasty stuff out. Then put in a couple gallons of fresh and see want comes out. Using the onboard fuel tank would be a little more convenient if you can get it cleaned out without too much trouble.

X5oh

Cadet
You can salvage the built in installation with a little effort. As said above, pump out what you can of the nasty old stuff and then add a few gallons of clean a let it set for a little while, if you can rock the boat do so to agitate the new stuff then pump that out too. Now comes the expense invest in and install a good Fuel filter/ water separator filter assembly with a clear view sump, add more fuel then prime the line to the engine. With the clear view sump you can see if there is water or contaminants in the tank or lines. If you see water or contaminants drain the see-thru via the screw type drain valve, and reprime, do so until you have a clean supply of fuel to the engine then do an engine start and monitor the clear filter sump. You can get these filters and assemblies most everywhere, Overtons, Amazon ,Walmart, and Local Marine suppliers. I just went thru a switch back to an on board tank that had 4 year old gas in it. The filter setup let me know when things were right. Hope this might work for your set up.

thumpar

Admiral
Glass and plastic are not USCG approved so the clear filter would make it illegal.