Looking for advice on affordable flybridge model boats

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the wife and I live in Seattle Wa area and decided we need to get a boat. We want a flybridge model, but unfortunately our budget is tight. We have been looking at smaller Bayliners, and older Reinell's etc. I am way more interested in economy over power, so thinking a single engine would be best, unless you can convince me otherwise. I found what seems to be a great deal on a 1990 Bayliner 2556. They guy says he will sell the boat (without outboard and trailer) for $4000.00 Said he would even deliver it for an extra $200. I'd appreciate any advice you could offer on this boat, or other models worth perusing. Is the 460 engine a good motor for this boat, etc?

I should mention Im very "handy" and mechanical inclined so Im more likely to purchase a boat that needs a bit of love and is a good deal, that I am to search for a year for the "perfect" boat.

Thanks guys!

Here is the ad: http://bellingham.craigslist.org/boa/4607972829.html

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That thing has an OMC King Cobra. Parts for those drives are almost non-existent. Do a google search for any King Cobra outdrive part- gears, shafts, bearings, water pump, seal kit, anything you can think of-- The boat may be fine, the drive may be fine, but when it needs service and you can't find parts... :(

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the advice. Is it possible to just purchase a whole new/different outdrive model and mate it to the 460 engine if/when the King Cobra fails?

Last edited:

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Any reason for wanting a small fly bridge? My father had a 24' sea ray fly bridge when I was very young. Brig such a small bridge boat, I would say most of the time he rode up top alone, and anyone else aboard was down in the cockpit. Do you have accumulated size your looking at?

mmetzger1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The main reason is affordability. I would get a 33ft if I could afford it. Where I am located there are some really good deals every now and then on 24-26 flybridge model boats.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Is the plan to trailer it, or wet slip? Do slip prices get higher in small jumps or no? I ask because there may be deals on 29-32'ers as well. I'm not sure about your area, but if your willing to go older you can get a cheap flybridge boat that will need some work but should be usable.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
check with the marina on the capacity of the forklift. Yes they are big but won't move as much as you might think.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
In that case is say expand the search a little. Into the 30' range gives you more choices.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
I get the limited budget thing but you are asking for more trouble if you buy the Bayliner with the King Cobra. Is this your first boat?