Gastron GTL 229 or Stingray 225sx cuddy cabins

will8will

Recruit
I am in the market for a new cuddy cabin and love the Gastron GTL229 and the Stingray 225sx. I would appreciate any advice and opinions on the two - ride quality, reliability, overnighting in the cuddy, performance in chop. Thanks in advance.

roffey

Commander
The Stingray is smoken fast, like 60 mph plus. I have a Stingray 198 and it is a fun boat.

will8will

Recruit
Thanks for the response. How does your Stingray do in rougher lake waters...maybe 4 feet? How is it for cruising?

roffey

Commander
The biggest water I have been in so far (3 weeks) has been about 2 feet. I did a little research and the Stingrays get the best fuel economy and the best performance. The hull design give them better performance. In my boat I hit 45 in no time, I punch the throttle and trim up the motor, the boat lifts out of the water and it just goes. It's almost like flying across the water and you don't feel the waves. I can't say how it will handle three foot waves and I suspect you would not want to go across 3 foot waves at 60 mph, but my guess would be good at 35-40.

Last edited:

jestor68

Commander
I am in the market for a new cuddy cabin and love the Gastron GTL229 and the Stingray 225sx. I would appreciate any advice and opinions on the two - ride quality, reliability, overnighting in the cuddy, performance in chop. Thanks in advance.

A cuddy is a cuddy as far as overnighting.

Reliabilty the same as both are probably powered by Mercruiser. VP is good too.

Quality goes to the Glastron.

Ride quality goes to the Glastron.

Speed goes to the Stingray, if that's all you're interested in.

will8will

Recruit
Thanks Jestor68. And you help confirm what I am discovering. I am not a speed demon and leaning towards the Glastron.

roffey

Commander
I would be lying if I said I don't like the speed, I hit 57 mph on the boat last weekend and loved it. My deciding factor was price in the end. The Glastron is the higher end boat for sure.

stephanies

Seaman Apprentice
I went from a Glastron 205GXL to a Stingray 225LR (bowrider rather than the 225SX cuddy)
The Stingray build quality was actually better than the Glastron- but no doubt Glastron have improved in recent years.....
I absolutely love the Stingray- great looking. very fast, economical for its hp (3000rpm =36mph @ 8 gals per hour with the 5.7GXi)
I was worried about ride quality, but really it is fine in the sometimes choppy waters of charlotte harbor- yes it bangs about at speed in the chop but what bowrider doesn't..It is very dry in rough water. Factory fitted trim tabs were a great option and help a lot too....

I am due to change boats next year- like the OP it will be a choice between a Glastron 225 and another Stingray 225 (bowrider, with 320hp) I think I will be swayed to another Stingray given the fun the current one has given me. It does everything I could want from a 22ft Bowrider (and 60mph should I be i hooligan mode)

roffey

Commander
I love my stingray, when out on the lake with a little chop at say 40-45 mph it bounces around and you can feel the water. I push the throttle, trim up the motor and you can feel the boat rise out of the water and then it's like flying over the water and you can't feel the waves. My last boat, a Thundercraft was fast but you felt every ware and ripple.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Opinion ?? Neither boat. look at Monterey 224FSC (if you can find one in the US) or Ebbtide 224 SE.