Seastar steering issue

rocket350

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2005 19' Center Console Cobia with a Yamaha F115 and Seastar hydraulic steering. Boat has under 200 hrs so it hasn't been used much before I got it.

It seems to turn right with no issues. Sometimes turning left, it takes extra turns of the wheel. Sometimes the engine won't move for a moment while turning the wheel left. I understand the concept of hydraulics and break systems, but never messed with boat steering.

I assume it's either air on one side (if possible) or the Helm pump has an issue not pumping to one side (like a bad automotive master cylinder to front or rear brakes). Does anyone have experience or can tell me if I'm on the right track? Thanks.

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You may need to adjust the skeg behind the prop. Not sure which way. To the left or right.

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You may need to adjust the skeg behind the prop. Not sure which way. To the left or right. Try one way or the other and see what you get. I reinstalled mine a little off and had the same problem.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Most likely air in one side of the system. Bleeding should fix it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sound slike your steering has air and needs bled. Here's a video tutorial for the Teleflex system.