Never started a non-tiller motor. First time going out. Most important question...

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've had my trusty 12ft boat with 9.8 4 stroke tiller for a while and it's cake...but how do I start this motor? haha, yeah, rookie question and I have asked other people. I've gotten different answers. My buddy said don't use the choke and another said do use it. One said just pump the bulb and turn the key, another said you have to lift the choke twice. It's a 60hp EFI 4 stroke jet. If it was a prop motor, I'd just try it in my driveway. Can someone go step by step on how to start this. I know the handle has some directions on it, but my buddy said I don't use that, just push the key in and turn or just turn the key. Here's what I'm looking at:

20140828_062428_zpsfb4bb83a.jpg

Thank you for the help. I just know the ramp will be busy Saturday and I don't want to be fuddling around at the dock. Thanks!

ngt

yes, May have had a different motor originally and those parts were original too.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
It probably has been re-powered.
Chokes are on Carburetors. A fuel injected engine does not have a choke or an accelerator pump.
Pumping the throttle twice will do nothing.
It will crank one or two revolutions for the computer to figure out where the crankshaft is positioned before the spark plugs begin firing.
Just pump the bulb, turn the key and let it crank until it starts.
The same technique as any car built in the last 30 years.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Turn key and go... Can't get much simpler! You can even get rid of the bulb, that generally isn't needed and will eventually leak on you.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
you might have to turn the key to the ON position and leave it there for a few seconds but like others have said you should be good to go.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ya, the push choke threw me but like others have said, turn the key and go. you might have to leave the key in the ON position for a few seconds on really cold starts but otherwise you should be good to go.

ngt

Ya, the push choke threw me but like others have said, turn the key and go. you might have to leave the key in the ON position for a few seconds on really cold starts but otherwise you should be good to go.

Wait, so I turn it into the ON position and don't leave it in the one position once it starts? So not like a car? Not understanding the "leave the key in the ON position for a few seconds on a really cold day"...Yeah, I'm dumb. If it's not in the "ON" position, isn't the motor off?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Key has 3 positions.

Off

On, which activates all electronics ( computer and fuel injection).

Start, which activates the starter.

Turn the key to ON, allowing the computer and fuel pump to power up,
then turn to START until it fires, then release the
key and it will return to the ON position. Go have fun.

Turn the key to OFF when you want the fun to stop.

Last edited:

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And this procedure is applicable to cold starts, not just on cold days. On cold days, you might have to toggle from OFF to ON a couple times to (re)activate the EFI.

UncleWillie

Captain
"Turn the Key to ON and Wait a few seconds"; Is so the electric fuel pump has a chance to pressurize the Fuel injectors.
On a carbed engine, the bulb is used to fill the Carb Bowl before starting. The mechanical fuel pump doesn't work until the engine is turning.

On a Fuel injected engine; when the engine is first energized, you will hear the electric fuel pump run for a few seconds until the fuel rail that feeds the injectors becomes pressurized. You only need to do this once. Hot or cold temperatures will make no difference.
The engine will always start with the injectors pumping a little extra fuel as if the non-existent choke was closed.
Once it figures out the engine is warm it will lean out the fuel mixture.

If you don't wait for the fuel pump, and just crank and go, it might take another half second to start.
We are way over thinking this. It is a modern engine just like in you car. Just turn the key like you do in your car and go!

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I do not see the kill switch lanyard clip. Best ensure that switch is functional.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
If you don't wait for the fuel pump, and just crank and go, it might take another half second to start.
We are way over thinking this. It is a modern engine just like in you car. Just turn the key like you do in your car and go!

x2. I have an EFI 4. Sometimes I turn the key on and wait few seconds, sometimes I crank it right away. Either way it starts instantly, even if it sat for 6 months of winter. Always starts like I had used it the previous hour.

bassman284

Commander
I've owned that exact motor for 13 years (prop, not jet) and I have never heard of leaving it in "ON" for a few seconds to get the pump going. I just turn the key to start and it starts. Sometimes I remember to pump the bulb, but probably forget it about half the time. Doesn't matter much. If I forget to pump the bulb it might take an extra half to 3/4 second to start. The bulk pump will suck it right out of the tank. Love the EFI. Coldest I've ever started was probably low 40s. The EFI doesn't really care, just starts.