Securing the Engine Cover/Doghouse.

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just curious what method some of you have decided to use to secure and hold down your doghouse. I basically just went with a couple of angle brackets on the floor near the back of it under the back seats, to hold it down in place. Screwed to the floor, and with a stainless bolt through the side, I can unscrew it to remove the doghouse when I need to. Some seem to use big piano hinges, but for some reason, I'm not too keen on the idea. The only issue I can see having, is if something bad happened, and I had to pull the doghouse off quickly. The bolts do require me to reach in behind it, and it takes a minute to get them off.

Any other suggestions?

I wonder if I shouldn't just take the brackets off for good, and let it just sit there by its own weight.

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral
I have mine hinged on the top at the stern (aluminum piano hinge), dog house pops up and back, supported by a couple gas shocks. It locks down with a funky adjustable pull latch I found off Ebay, takes all of 2 seconds to pop up the dog house.

I've seen some with the top cut 1/2 off, then hinged forward.

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander
Ditto on the above. I wouldn't let it just sit there. That's a lot of weight to be rolling around the boat in case of a sudden stop or hitting a bad wave.

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Two good sized SS hinges is what I would do. IMO the engine cover s/b opened in order to inspect and sniff for fumes,water leaks or hose/belt issues prior to heading out. My current boat is an outboard and I still open the splash well hatch to check for fuel or oil leaks (built in tanks) . Maybe I'm paranoid, but I would not head out prior to inspecting the engine /bilge . Also don't like the idea of requiring a screwdriver if something abnormal happens while out the water. I say that because many years ago I was getting ready to go out and had the boat launched from dry rack storage. I opened the dog house to inspect things and found about 10 gallons of fuel in the bilge, corroded aluminum fuel tank.

Bondo

Staff member
Two good sized SS hinges is what I would do. IMO the engine cover s/b opened in order to inspect and sniff for fumes,water leaks or hose/belt issues prior to heading out. My current boat is an outboard and I still open the splash well hatch to check for fuel or oil leaks (built in tanks) . Maybe I'm paranoid, but I would not head out prior to inspecting the engine /bilge . Also don't like the idea of requiring a screwdriver if something abnormal happens while out the water. I say that because many years ago I was getting ready to go out and had the boat launched from dry rack storage. I opened the dog house to inspect things and found about 10 gallons of fuel in the bilge, corroded aluminum fuel tank.

Ayuh,.... I always check the oils, do a sniff test, 'n look 'round,.....

Bein' a Mechanic,....
For a motorbox that needs hinges, I like the ones that ya open it, push to the side, 'n the box comes Free,.....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It shouldn't be hinged or permanently bolted down in any way. Certainly there should be no fasteners drilled thru the deck (floor). you want to be able to move it easily and quickly, and even remove it from the boat for major maintenance.

I bought a chrome plated latch and mounted in on the aft end of the doghouse. The mating chrome plated part is secured to the aft deck. Its a lockable latch - I use a nylon pin in place of a lock. If I want to check the bilge I can have the latch open and the doghouse moved forward in about 4 seconds.

http://www.iboats.com/Seachoice-Ant...8661287--session_id.390601552--view_id.259679

Last edited: