2006 Bayliner 195 3.0 MerCruiser having trouble starting back up when engine is warm

blcross3

Cadet
I use my boat about once a month and when I put it in the water it starts right up but after we cruise around the lake and park to swim or lay out it has trouble starting back up. It usually takes me about 3-4 times trying to start it before I get it running? I usually put the throttle in 1/4 position also and it still has trouble. I'm afraid of getting stranded every time I shut it off. I'm a first year boat owner and just looking for opinions on what could be the problem. Thanks!

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
You're probably running into a little vapor lock due to heat. Try running your blower 5-10 minutes after shutting your motor down and see if that helps.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome to iboats, so how about a better description of what happens when you're trying to start it up. Also when the motor finally does start up what does it act like? Does it chug or sputter, exhaust smells of fuel like it's flooded etc?

oldjeep

Admiral
Our 2005 was always a little finicky too about starting up after shut down. Generally giving it 1/4 to 1/3 throttle (in neutral) would take care of it.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I feel for you. I chased that problem for several years. It was so bad that I cringed every time a skier fell or it was time to restart after fishing a kelp patty. Mine turned out to be a bad fuel pump, but yours could be Any of several things. I am not a firm believer that "some boats are just hard to start and you have to live with it". As Watermann suggested, list the other symptoms and hopefully someone can help.

oldjeep

Admiral
Seems to be a common issue with the 3.0L TKS boats. Never met anyone who thought they started right.