Blowers on or off ???

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
EVERYTHING should be OFF and ALL hatches n doors should be closed..... run blowers after fueling before powering anything up

Safe fueling procedure:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]•Secure boat to the dock
•Switch off engine(s)
•Extinguish all open flames
•Do not use electrical switches
•No smoking
•Ports, hatches, and doors closed
•Make certain all passengers are ashore
•Determine quantity of fuel required and make sure it is the proper type of fuel
•Hold hose nozzle firmly against fill pipe opening
•Do not overfill
•Wipe up all spillage
•Open ports, hatches, and doors to ventilate
•Turn blower on for four minutes minimum
•Do the sniff test (smell for gas in compartments, engine room, etc)
•Start engine(s)
•Re-board Passengers
•Untie from dock and cast off
[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would think the basic safety rule is kind of like a car, nothing electrical should be in operation while fueling.

tpenfield

Staff member
OMG :eek: +1 to the posts above. smokeonthewater has the generally accepted procedure. Be safe.

Private Nemo

Seaman
Thanks, But I thought the blowers are sealer. Wouldn't be better to have the blowers on longer ?

pckeen

Commander
The blowers are designed to vent gasses out of the motor compartment, but they are still an electrically powered motor, so they should be off while fuelling. Here's a link to a thread on why to use it:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Thanks, But I thought the blowers are sealer. Wouldn't be better to have the blowers on longer ?

running blowers while fueling would quite possibly draw fumes INTO the engine compartment and no it would not be better to run them while fueling

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I would think the basic safety rule is kind of like a car, nothing electrical should be in operation while fueling.

It must not get very cold in Washington.

Every semi, squad car, ambulance, and half the residents leave their engines running around here.

haulnazz15

Captain
It must not get very cold in Washington.

Every semi, squad car, ambulance, and half the residents leave their engines running around here.

To be fair, the semis and some ambulances are diesel-powered. Diesel isn't anywhere near as flammable (low flash point) as gasoline is, so the threat to diesels is greatly diminished. That being said, I bet the owner's manual for those vehicles still stipulates that the engine and ignition be turned off while refueling.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
ALSO to be fair... nobody should have brought autos into this anyhow... the explosion risk of a car vs a boat would be apples to hand grenades.

agallant80

Commander
Car engines are not located in an unvented sealed compartment. Everything off when filling the boat up. As others have said the blower can suck fumes in to the engine compartment.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Has anyone ever noticed that the fuel inlet is metal and that there should be a ground to it from the engine and the fuel tank, litterly there should be a ground strap to all metal parts making a grid.
All fuel pumps "Should" have a ground strap with alligator clip to draw off possible static charge.

Cap'nHandy

Seaman
Always grounded when refueling my aircraft. ( when I still had it, sniff - sniff ) It amazes me the number if idiots that refuel with gasoline while leaving their engine running. Course, with ethanol polluted fuel, there is a bit less volatility. But that just reduces the chances of many people proving Darwin's theory.

Having seen the damage of gasoline + spark + human flesh, the best way to make people be safe is add a few photos tof burn victims to the gas pump warning signs.

Blaine

haulnazz15

Captain
In the past few months, I've witnessed two different people smoking cigarettes while at the pump. One of them reached down to remove the fill nozzle with the hand holding the cigarette. Both happened to be women, but that isn't really significant other than fodder for sexist jokes, lol. People amaze me with their stupidity all the time.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
The one thing on the list I can say I don't always practice and probably shame on me. I don't make everyone get on the gas dock and wait. I try to not fill the boat when going out with family and friends, we try to do it before any trip with few passengers on board.