New Anchor and a Windlass

tpenfield

Staff member
Well the Admiral hurt her back pulling up the anchor this weekend . . . so it looks like I will be getting a windlass to avoid further injury (to both her and myself :) )

Along with a windlass, I will need/want to get a new anchor, because my current one ( 22 lb danforth type) is not really suitable for the type of bow roller and windlass setup that I have in mind.

I was thinking about getting a Bruce/claw style anchor, since the Formula Sun Sports used them with the factory windlass setup. However, I have been reading up on anchor styles and their associated holding power, etc. and it seems that the claw anchors do not fair so well as compared to some of the newer styles, such as the Rocna, Spade and Manson anchors. Even the Delta anchors do not seem to rate as well as some of the newer styles.

Anyway what do you all think about the various styles of anchors ??? :noidea: I mostly anchor in sand or mud . . . but sometimes it is more rocky or seaweed covered bottoms. My danforth did not do well at all on the rocky bottoms and has trouble sometimes with seaweed bottoms. It does fine on sand . . . in mud, it could hold an aircraft carrier :eek:

The only thing about the new style anchors is that they are about 3X the cost of the older style Claw and plow anchors. The windlass is going to cost a few bucks along with a bow roller, so it is starting to add up.

Normally, I would pull the anchor up myself (avoiding injury to the Admiral and potentially myself), but sometimes when we are anchored close to other boats, it is better for me to stay at the helm, so a windlass would do the trick.

I'll probably buy everything in the Fall and will start a thread detailing the setup and installation, but I wanted to see what folks thought about the various anchors before I start buying things and possibly regretting it.

TIA for your thoughts.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It all depends on your bottom types. We have sand, mud and shell to deal with. You see lots of "claw", "plow" and danforths hanging from pulpits. Whatever you pick, use as much chain as you can reasonably handle

tpenfield

Staff member
I tend to see a good number of boats with delta anchors that hold pretty well in situations where my fluke (danforth) is drifting. I have 20 or 25 feet of chain so it drags pretty well and usually I go with between 5:1 and 7:1 scope. With a windlass, I could go a bit more chain if I wanted. The cost of one of those new style anchors for my boat would range between $250 and $600, which seems like crazy money. The claw and delta anchors would be $100 or less.

So, I may go with a Delta ( seachoice has a look-alike for under $100). If I went with a claw anchor, I'd probably want a 33 lb. . . For a Delta anchor, it looks like I'd be well within the recommendation for a 22 lb. i do like the single point of the Delta(plow) anchors as that will tend to penetrate the more difficult sea beds. The overall project is looking like about $1400 considering everything I got to buy and install.

Last edited:

rsmitty814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Teach the admiral to stand the helm. Otherwise I would use a "plow" type anchor with a windlass.

tpenfield

Staff member
I'm thinking it would be easier/better to get the windlass and plow anchor than to teach the Admiral boat handling in close quarters. That is usually where the situation warrants being able to raise the anchor while at the helm; when I am in close proximity to other boats or hazards and I got no additional crew.

I'm also hoping that a plow anchor will be better in the rocky and seaweed bottoms than the danforth that I currently have. So, I'm thinking the delta/plow is probably the way to go.

Maybe in about 5 years the newer style anchors will reach 'affordability' . . . . right now they seem very pricey. :rolleyes: