I feel like such a failure!!!

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought my 1989 Regal medallion 3.0L back at the end of June, and it needed a lot of work. I figured it would take about a month or so. Well, it took over 2 months, and now it is basically ready for some sea trials, and some tubing. I really wanted to take the kids tubing today. It's one of the last days of really hot weather in the 80's available before the fall starts to set in.

If this isn't the most ironic kicker.

After months of hard work, I got the boat on the trailer, on my way to the lake, and I notice my battery voltage is running low. My Alternator in my truck is going bad. DAGNABBIT!!!! So, of course I turn around and go home, because I need to run up to the parts store to get a new one.

Needless to say, the kids were disappointed, and Daddy feels like a failure. :grumpy:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Ya Still got a boat, 'n there'll Be other days,..... ;)

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Look after the boat- it'll probably be with you longer than the kids. :lol:

southkogs

Staff member
... the kids were disappointed at home, not on the road side in half-a-bazillion degrees of summer heat. I'm thinking you did better'n I woulda' catching it before it was a problem.

Kids'll get over it pretty quick ... and all will be forgiven on the first run when you make it.

fordmugg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A failure your not, a good father who did everything he could to get the boat on the water is who you are

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Dude, that is life and you make made the right decision. You still have time to get out on the water and everyone is safe.

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I may try again tomorrow. If not, it'll have to wait until the weekend. Here's some pics of the boat after all the work I did. I still have to finish polishing the port side to restore the gel coat.

Before...

014_zps3f3bc704.jpg

After....

Don't ask how many painful nights sleep I endured for this. And, I still have to do the other side. :eek:

015_zps7865e7df.jpg

My restored swim ladder. From gray to this..

017_zps539d60d2.jpg

My restored interior.

020_zps9b466260.jpg

More pics later

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Being conservative and making a judgment call about the tow vehicle is NOT a failure--in fact, it is the opposite. Given the electrical loads on more modern vehicles plus the load of the A/C and trailer lights, it is probably a given that you would have been stranded. Yeah, you MIGHT have been able to use the boat battery, but who needs the drama of all that. Like mentioned above: Hot kids in a hot car are no fun and it all will be forgotten the first ride on the boat..

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, I got a new alternator installed, and I really am thinking of getting a new battery for my truck too. The one in there is 12 years old.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah, I got a new alternator installed,
You can, more often than not, just replace the brushes in the alternator to fix it and usually without even removing the alternator from the engine. The brushes are usually very cheap. There used to be a rebuild shop in my town and the owner told me that 99% of alternator "rebuilds" were just cleaning and new brushes. Same is true for marine alternators.

haulnazz15

Captain
Yeah, I got a new alternator installed, and I really am thinking of getting a new battery for my truck too. The one in there is 12 years old.

If your battery is 12 years old, you've been running on borrowed time my friend. Anything over about 7 years on a battery is asking to be stranded somewhere.

Condor1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, I think I need to get a new battery too. Even though the voltage is still fine with this one.

As far as the alternator goes. No reason to replace the brushes. It is a 10 minute swap, and it has a lifetime warranty. I got a new one for free. I installed it right there in the parking lot of the parts store.

Now, it's raining outside, and rain forecast for the weekend. I have no idea when I'll be able to get this thing out.

Last edited:

dneedham

Cadet
Hey, I failed to get my boat launched the first three trips to the lake. 1) bad battery, 2) bad starter, 3) still bad starter even though father in law thought he fixed it. Boats and cars are an adventure in Murphy's law!