Draining internal tank and switching to eternal tank

rswojo

Cadet
I have a Crestliner FishHawk 1600, 60hp Merc with a 21 gallon internal tank. I never come close to draining the tank through use every year. I have approximately 10 gallons of 2 year old non-ethanol premium gas and 10 gallons of 1 year old non-ethanol premium gas in the thing now. I use fuel conditioner and fill it every winter before storage. I will never come close to using the full tank capacity every year.

I want to drain the internal tank and buy a 6.6 gallon external tank instead, that way I don't have to worry about this old gas in my tank. Can I disconnect the fuel line from the engine, pump the bulb to get the gas flowing and siphon it into a can which will be below the boat as it is draining?

I think it should work but I'd like to get some advice as to whether it will or not before I take everything apart only to find out it won't work.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Normally that built-in tank will have an anti-siphon valve which will prevent you siphoning the fuel into a can, using your fuel line.

Are you saying you left 10G of gas in the tank over the winter of 2013, and 10G of fuel in it last winter? So the tank has 20G in it now?

The best was is to remove the fuel gauge sender and siphon the fuel out through it's hole. If you use a "shake-shake" siphon with a long hose, it should empty pretty fast. Make sure you have enough Jerry cans to hold all 20G.

One more thing. A 60HP motor will burn 6.6G of fuel in about 2 hours, of moderate running. You need to fish more.....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I use an electric fuel pump to pump the fuel out,.... Siphon may, or probably won't work,...

I agree with Chris, yer gonna want 2 tanks, so when ya run out, ya got fuel to get in,...

UncleWillie

Captain
... Can I disconnect the fuel line from the engine, pump the bulb to get the gas flowing and siphon it into a can which will be below the boat as it is draining?...

It will likely work.
The anti-siphon valve on the tank prevents the tank from siphoning into the bilge.
If you can get gas out of the tank with the squeeze bulb, then siphoning 2 to 3 feet downhill should open it up.
Run the fuel hose out the bilge plug hole so you don't have to go over the Gunnel.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
How is it that you can't use 20 gallons of gas in a year?.... I'd use that or more in a day w that boat.

rswojo

Cadet
How is it that you can't use 20 gallons of gas in a year?.... I'd use that or more in a day w that boat.

I fish a resevoir. I launch, drive 2 miles to my walleye hotspots, catch my limit of 3 walleyes and drive 2 miles back to the landing. I fish in May and June then the resevoir gets too low to use my boat on it.

Last edited:

rswojo

Cadet
Normally that built-in tank will have an anti-siphon valve which will prevent you siphoning the fuel into a can, using your fuel line.

Are you saying you left 10G of gas in the tank over the winter of 2013, and 10G of fuel in it last winter? So the tank has 20G in it now?

The best was is to remove the fuel gauge sender and siphon the fuel out through it's hole. If you use a "shake-shake" siphon with a long hose, it should empty pretty fast. Make sure you have enough Jerry cans to hold all 20G.

One more thing. A 60HP motor will burn 6.6G of fuel in about 2 hours, of moderate running. You need to fish more.....

Thanks all for the help and suggestions. I removed the floor panel above the tank and I can see the fuel gauge sender. Now I just need the wife to have a couple extra hands around to assist and I will be able to drain the damn thing. My dealer is 70 miles round trip ($35 worth of gas) plus the labor to drain it with an electric pump so you guys probably saved me about a $100.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Gotcha..... I'm both sympathetic AND jealous....

you COULD go pick up a cheap universal electric pump at the auto parts store... they used to be $19 tho they may now be higher as I haven't bought on in a while.... If you go this route just make sure the pump and battery are OUTSIDE the boat as fumes will disperse outside the boat but will collect inside it.

rswojo

Cadet
I have a clear siphon hose. I'll do it the old fashioned way, stick the hose in the tank and SUCK. It is free and there is no chance of incinerating myself.

thumpar

Admiral
You could just not fill it up all the way. My tank is 40 gallons and can easily use half in a day and if I wanted to use it all in a day.

64osby

Admiral
[h=2]Draining internal tank and switching to eternal tank[/h]
I need to find one of those 'eternal' tanks. I would love not having to fill up every outing. :D

rswojo

Cadet
I need to find one of those 'eternal' tanks. I would love not having to fill up every outing. :D

You must be a proofreader by profession, you are the first to catch the "eternal" error. Good job :)

I also know from other forums that I can't edit a title. I also misspelled reservoir in one of my posts. It must have been a bad day.