wanted help buying cabin cruiser

wayne&char

Cadet
There are so many to chose from. We need help with info on what would our best choice be. We would like around 30ft, cabin cruiser. What's better gas engine or diesel? Price? Iam a mechanic/ carpenter so fixing is not a problem. Budget60-70k, duel engine or single? Thanks for your time

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander
wayne&char;n8469121 said:
There are so many to chose from. We need help with info on what would our best choice be. We would like around 30ft, cabin cruiser. What's better gas engine or diesel? Price? Iam a mechanic/ carpenter so fixing is not a problem. Budget60-70k, duel engine or single? Thanks for your time

Diesel is better but the upkeep is more costly. Doubt you would find it in a 30ft'r. Your size will have twin gas most likely. Where it is going to be used and how will it be used would be my question to be able to suggest what type/brand of boat and motors to look at

haulnazz15

Captain
Where will it be used and how will it be used? Are you trying to live aboard for a week or just a weekend? Any bridge clearance issues in your body of water? Intend to trailer or keep it in a slip? Lots of items come into play regarding the style of cruiser.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
In that price range and size I would be looking at twin 5.7 fuel injected gas engines.

agallant80

Commander
Stay away from the Volvo composite drives. For your price range you can find something nice. I would find what you like and then start digging in to it. For the record I think the searay 290 is a sweet boat. Should have bought that instead of my current boat...

wayne&char

Cadet
Thank you all for responding. We would use the boat for weekend mostly, with other couples. Don't think there r any bridge clearance issues, b used mostly on a big chain of lakes, how big of cabin cruiser would have a diesel engine? R diesels more fuel efficient? May trailer or can keep in slip either one. Thanks for your time

tpenfield

Staff member
Wondering about your previous boating experience. With your intended boat style & size (30 ft. cruiser) and budget range ($60-70K), you should be able to have lots of choices. You will be buying used as new ones will be double your budget.

Most likely will have twin I/O. Mercruiser or Volvo Penta are both fine and are based on the same GM engines.

Most major brands have a boat in your size/style, and have been making them for many years.

I would look at the following brands

Formula
SeaRay
Chaparral
Chris Craft
Cruisers
Monterey
Regal
Wellcraft

Keep in mind that many folks are asking more money than their boat is worth. NADAguides.com and BUCvalue.com are commonly used pricing reference sites. BUC seems to be better, but costs a nominal fee. When I bought my 33 ft Formula a couple of years ago, I signed up for the BUC site on a month-to-month basis. Ended up using about 3 months . . . I looked at about 12 boats . . . armchair shopped hundreds of boats.

Last edited:

wayne&char

Cadet
All my boating experience is on river boats as we live in northern Canada. We r moving to milder climate in Canada where there is mostly lakes. Thank you for your time

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
For (small) inland lakes you might find it difficult to trailer a 30' boat. Stick to a 24' to 28' and be sure to have a good tow vehicle, i.e. PickUp. Power should be a single big block engine with the 24 or 26' boats and twin V6 engines when you get to 28' + size boat. Gasoline engines would serve you better than diesel as service may be an issue with the diesel. In Ohio, diesel is more expensive than diesel and any savings in fuel use is often lost.

If slip stored, a 30' + boat could be a good fit. If you must go under bridges, be careful of height. On the Portage river (Ohio), one of the road bridges has a 10-11 ft clearance while one of the rail road crossings is only 5 ft. I often get tired waiting for the RR bridge to open. If you value sleeping space in the cabin, a Convertible-style boat with a flybridge is very comfortable. However if you want rear deck space for entertaining, an express-style might fit your intended use better.

One of our boating buddies had both a 34' X and a 34' convertible. She liked the Convertible because of the interior size, but disliked the rolling motion of the flybridge (sat on the rear deck when running). He likes the X because of the larger rear deck, speed, and lack of rolling motion. They currently wish that they had kept the 29' Silverton they sold when they upgraded to the 34C. The larger boats 30+ feet are gas hogs and only get about 1 mpg. Smaller engines with stern drives get much better fuel economy, 1.5 to 3 mpg, but have higher annual maintenance costs. Inboards like deep water (keeps shafts and props straight ) while I/O and outboards can work well in shallow waters.

Enjoy your boat hunting. As the saying goes "it is one the two happiest day in a boater life"

erie_guy
32' Chris Craft express w/twin 5.7 VP SX drives.
Port Clinton, Oh

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
What lakes are you looking to cruise? Land locked or the Great Lakes? I ask because unless your in a very large body of water diesel seems overkill. Not that I wouldn't entertain it, but much tougher to find, fuel and maintenance would cost a bit more, however more efficient and less flammable fuel on board. Have you looked into any boats yet? When I had a 29' I was dead set on a boat with a separate dinette, an aft cabin (cave under the helm) and I wanted inboards instead of I/Os. It narrowed down my search a lot. Do you have any preferences with deck or cabin layout?

wayne&char

Cadet
Hi thanks for responding. We are moving to the shuswap lake area in b.c. it is land locked , it is a very big chain is lakes,but in the not to far future when we fully retire we would like to take a few trips to the ocean . As it is only a few hrs away. Hauling the boat is not a problem, Iam x truck driver and I have a one ton diesel truck. We looked at a rinker 290, we like that style, but it only had one engine and it was gas. I prefer diesel, Iam currently a mechanic with a lot of carpenter experience, so repairing / maintenance is not a problem. I also like catamarans but the price is high and I don't know how to sail,lol. So we need lots room for sleeping and moving around in the aft cabin. We will be taking friends and family with us , not all the time though, spending lots weekends in it. Thank you for your time

Jeep Man

Commander
I would make a visit to the Shushap area and take a look around. Speak to other owners and to marinas in the area. You will get a much better idea what is suitable, including slip fees and feasibility of towing. A 30 footer is a lot to haul around on a regular basis. As to one screw or 2, singles are harder to control at low speed, twins give you a safety should you have engine trouble but will increase your maintenance costs.

moosekoot

Cadet
I live at the Shuswap. Diesel fuel can not be found at any marinas and I have not yet seen one that runs on it on the Shuswap. As for the type of boat you want I would think 27-29 footer would be plenty big. A lot of guys will buy across the line and bring them up here, as they are cheaper in the states.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and if you can cruise the docks you might be able to find boats for sale that are not listed.

wayne&char

Cadet
Thank you all for the input. I think we will look for a twin engine and diesel. Moosekoot, correct me if Iam wrong, but aren't the house boats diesel? If so where do they fuel up? Those are all good ideas, we would not be hauling it a lot, not for at least a few years. And also I think we will keep around the 30-32 ft . Thanks again for all yr time

moosekoot

Cadet
All the house boats are gas engines. No one sells diesel on the water. You would have to trailer boat to fill up. Most marinas also don't allow you to bring your own gas or diesel down to fill your own boat. We are part of a private dock so we can. I have seen diesel tugs that you can rent out of Kaslo, but that is the only one. No sure about Okanagon Lake though.