Suggestions/thoughts needed on potential boat upgrade

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
I currenly have a 1980 15ft modified trihull open-bow, but am considering moving up to a 17-18ft center console. I use the boat for 95% fishing, the other 5% for watersports or just cruising around our lake. My current boat is fine for me and the wife to go out in with our two dogs, but add a few more people, gear, etc, it gets tight really quick. Plus, anything above 5 mph in really choppy water will knock your teeth out with the flat bottom. I like the thought of being able to walk around the whole boat with the center console, plus the additional storage space, and the addition of a livewell or two would be great. I just redid the floor and interior on my boat, and plan on rebuilding the trailer next spring. This would put in a prime position to sell and look for something else.

I plan on looking around now for a center console forsale that I can climb around in and feel it out to see if it is really something I'm interested in. Looking for inputs on any center console owners, or people who have made a similar switch.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Very common to get the 2 foot-itus with boats and wanting bigger. If you think you want 2-4 extra feet, you might save some $ and time, getting the bigger of the choices you end up with. Tri hulls are know for beating the teeth out of your mouth, so going to a deep V or semi deep V will make for a much nicer ride. I have 19.5 aluminum, with a walk through "Full Windshield" and let add that I wouldn't own a boat without a full windshield. In Michigan you have 4 seasons, and cold wind, water, rain all play into the boating experience. We need the windshield to protect us, we use the Bimini for really bad days. Good luck with you next boat!!

NYBo

Admiral
Greenbush future makes some good points about size and windshields. Go to a local dealer and do some window shopping. Different center consoles have different furnishings, based on price and whether they are primarily for fishing or for cruising. You might also want to look at dual console models.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Center consoles are designed to be driven standing up. Unless the windshield is taller than you standing up, it becomes an useless, unwanted obstacle. If you want to be hardcore, a t-top with curtains can't be beat.

Last edited:

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

There is a center console forsale at a dealer fairly local to me that I think I will go and check out. I want to climb aroud in it, and get a feel for if thats really what I'm looking for. Here's my current setup. It was a step up from my 13.3 boston whaler, but after 4 years, I have now outgrown this one as well.

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
Heres the listing for the one I'm going to look at. Not sure if thats a good price or not, but just looking at the moment.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Keep looking.....too old, too beat up for the price they are asking. I wouldn't buy the boat based solely on the open transom...

Last edited:

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
Keep looking.....too old, too beat up for the price they are asking. I wouldn't buy the boat based solely on the open transom...

I'm not looking to buy that boat, it was just an option close by to me I want to look at to get an idea if that is what I really wanted. I went last night and walked around it after the place was closed. The boat is nice as far as room and storage is concerned. I like the fact it is setup to be a fishing machine, but it was rough. I agree the price is high. It is also a saltwater edition, so its really way to big/heavy for me to be towing around, and way to big for the lake I currently have my boat stored.

How does something like this sound? Only a foot bigger than what I have, but the price just seems way to cheap for what it is?? This guy has two of these boats, and they have been forsale since Memorial day.

vollymall

Cadet
That boat may be a slug with only 40 horsepower. Most I see locally in that size range usually have at least a 90. I have an 18 foot center console with a 115. With more than two people it feels sluggish. Center consoles can be great family boats too. That's what ours is used for.