Need to learn how hydraulic steering works

robeward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an volvo penta i/o setup. i have a leak in the power steering somewhere. need to learn how the setup works so i can troubleshoot.

i have been on how stuff works.com and understand the basics of the actual steering pump on the engine.

the hydraulic assist that actually pushes the ram looks similar to that of an outboard setup. is this true?

does my steering wheel still have the typical rack an pinion setup?

tell me where to go to learn how it operates, then we can talk troubleshooting.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... There's the Pump on the motor, which supplies pressure to the actuator at the transom,....
When the cable from the helm pushes, or pulls at the actuator, the shuttle valve in the actuator assists pushin' or pullin' the tiller arm,....
The oil flows from the pump to the actuator in the Hi-pressure line, 'n returns in the low pressure line, through the cooler, back to the pump's tank,...

If ya got a leak, 'n No oil in the bilge, ya probably got a frozen busted cooler,....

robeward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
aight, so what the cooler? and where is the oil going because i haven't seen any in the bildge?

robeward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
crap, nvrmd I know what the cooler is. the inline item to cool the fluid.

does that mean that hydraulic fluid could be leaking into the water that is cooling my engine? that doesn't sound good. at least it is raw water cooled so it doesn't keep circulating.

on bright side if it is the cooler that is leaking, it will be an easy fix.

Last edited: