New dash panels for 2001 Cobalt 226

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
We have been pondering how to fix the faded out dash panels on our 2001 Cobalt 226. They looked pretty bad. They are actually stainless steel plates that had a wood piece glued onto them. Be forewarned, they are not easy to remove from your boat. It is do-able though. You cannot get replacement panels from the dealer any longer because of the age of the boat. We considered decorative abs plastic sheets from Decorative Plastic Sheets but then would have to figure out how to get the lettering on them. I got several bids from different companies to redo the panels and most of them were almost $400.00. That price did include 6 panels: one for the glove box, 2 of the side arm rests, the gauge panel, and also 2 switch panels. I was hesitant to send these metal plates in the mail because if something happened and they got lost or misplaced, I would be screwed. I also did not know much about the process the different companies were using. I was referred to a company in Spanish Fork, Utah by a stereo/audio shop. That company is Black Ice Coatings owned by Lee Mitchell. He used a water printing process to get the carbon fiber look that I wanted on the panels and he also had the lettering engraved for me. I was going to leave the gauge panel in the wood grain because it is not in as bad of shape as the rest of the panels, but after seeing the other panels I was so pleased that I am going to rip the gauge panel out and have it done also. The cost was just under $200.00 for 5 of the panels. I have not had time to get these put back in the boat but will post pictures when I do. The pictures of the new panels look good, but not near as good as they look in real life. I have read online what a horrible job it has been for people to get the wood pieces off of the metal plates and that they worked on them for hours picking off a little bit at a time. I used a heat gun and it worked great. Just wear leather gloves because the panels do get hot.

Attachments

• photo208044.jpg
    photo208044.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo208045.JPG
    photo208045.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo208046.JPG
    photo208046.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 10
  • photo208047.JPG
    photo208047.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 10
  • photo208048.JPG
    photo208048.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 5
  • photo208049.jpg
    photo208049.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Bruce we took the old panels to him. What I was worried about was the engraving part. The lettering is so small I didn't see how they could print them on the panels.They used a laser for this, and the results are fantastic. Could not be happier. I think his website is blackicecoatings.com. Saved us a lot of money. I will try to take closes ups after we get them installed. Dave-R

vans

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My Cobalt has the same fading issue as you, I like what you've done, I may follow your lead

How's your steering wheel holding up?

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Vans funny you should ask about the steering wheel, it could use a little make-over also. Not sure what we can do there. Anyone out there got any steering wheel ideas? Dave-R

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Very nicely done, especially the engraved text. Even if not faded, these wood veneers otherwise date these boats a bit. I considered a DIY with 3m CF vinyl but did not like any labeling options and the newer all-black Cobalt wheels cost a kidney. As you note, getting to the panel bolts under the dash is not easy. Looking forward to the installed pics.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Correction. Black Ice Coatings owner's name is Lee Mecham. not Mitchell. Sorry

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm fabbing up some new dash pieces and using the 3D carbon fiber look vinyl. I don't need any labeling but you could attach a small plate and label that or engrave, etc.

vans

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Vans funny you should ask about the steering wheel, it could use a little make-over also. Not sure what we can do there. Anyone out there got any steering wheel ideas? Dave-R

I've been in contact with this company, www.craftcustoms.com, they've quoted me 400.00 to redo my steering wheel, turn around is 5-7 days. That seems like a lot of money until you try to get a Cobalt replacement, Cobalt told me my wheel is 1200.00, I have the wood/leather, or a vinyl wheel for 700.00

jfried

Seaman Apprentice
Are the pictures working for everyone else?

I have the same issue, really like the sounds of what you've done, but would love to see it.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Here are some of the pictures of the installed panels. Wife wants to replace the gauge panel also. Originally thought we would leave the gauge panel as is because it matches the steering wheel and doesn't look nearly as bad as the others did. What do you all think? Leave as is or replace gauge panel?

Attachments

• photo208037.jpg
    photo208037.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 7
  • photo208038.jpg
    photo208038.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 7
  • photo208039.jpg
    photo208039.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 6
  • photo208040.jpg
    photo208040.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo208041.jpg
    photo208041.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 12

jfried

Seaman Apprentice
Looks awesome!

I'd definitely replace the gauge panel. Makes it look very dated relative to what you've done with everything else.

As for the wheel, does it need to be a Cobalt wheel?

haulnazz15

Captain
Actually, I think it looks pretty cool with the existing dash matching the top of the steering wheel. Very custom-esque.

jfried

Seaman Apprentice
So I'm about to do something similar to my boat.

How did you get the outside of the right panel out? Does the whole dash have to be pulled?

Also, how does one remove the switches from the panel?

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
That was the toughest part to remove, so I had the wife do it. On the Cobalt, the back seat in bow section lifts up. Then there is a panel that lets you access the dash. The switches were difficult also, but easier to replace. I took and ground a junk wrench to fit between the locking nuts. I had to start at the top, and work my way down. The L.E.D. lights are tight but will come out with a lot of wiggling. I am very happy with the results. It would have been way over a grand if the dealer would have replaced these. Dave-R.

SMandarino

Recruit
Do you by chance know the diameter of the hole slated for the Sony Stereo remote? I'm hoping it's 1.5" or larger.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Old and closed.

Start a new thread or look up the remote specs with dimensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.