Need advice on buying boat with Volvo engine

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Folks I currently have a 1993 Maxuum 1700SR boat with a 3.0L Mercruiser/Alpha one leg. Havent had any issues with it and I am really happy with it. I am looking into getting a bigger boat. I seen this 1996 Four Winns boat with a Volvo 4.3L engine in it. What are your thoughts about Volvo? What should I look for when I go look at it? I will be doing a 2 hour drive to see this boat. He is willing to let me hook it up to a garden hose to start it all up. What ever info or past experience you guys may have with Volvo is much apretiated. Thanks in advance

Here is the link to the ad....

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...le/1013146389?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

pckeen

Commander
Volvo engines have a good reputation, though there are more Mercruisers out there. If you have a dealer locally who will work on it, then I wouldn't have a concern about it.

If the boat is as clean as it looks in the photographs, then $5k seems a good price, particularly if it only has 218 hours on it. In terms of an initial inspection, starting it up on muffs is fine, but you need to do a water test. A number of problems may not show up on a muffs test. There are numerous threads in the motors sections, for users whose boats seem to fun fine on muffs, but don't in the water, when the engine is put under the strain of actually moving the boat through a body of water. In addition, a muffs test won't show up any leaks.

If you need more information on what to look for in your inspection generally, let us know.

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's in birch hills. I live in pa only 20 minutes away. Seems like a good deal to me since the hours are most likely accurate. Not a long boating season in these parts.

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the fast response Pckeen. Hmmm now you got me thinking. I bought a few boats in the past and always been muff test. I must of got lucky everytime. All I normally do is check the engine oil and the leg oil for any type of moisture. Just this whole Volvo thing kinda scares me as I don't know much about them. Just been running mercruisers and OMC in the past. I called the guy about the boat and by the sounds of things he sounds honest (cant always go by that) I am from regina and he offered to meet me in Watson and luckily my wifes uncle has a farm out there that we can do a muff water test. I don't think theres any lakes near by that I can take it for a ride. I agree the hours look good on it. He says carpet needs a shampoo but other then that its in excellent shape.

Hey ralphy670, never did I thought I was going to see a Saskatchewan person on this post.

dozerII

Admiral
I'm in the South west part of Sask, and if that boat is as good as the pictures indicate it would be a good deal. Regina Marine is a Volvo service center and I know there is one in Medicine Hat. Good luck.

oldjeep

Admiral
You're not buying a Volvo engine, you are buying a Chevy engine with either a Mercruiser or Volvo stern drive attached to it. Nothing wrong with a Volvo drive, some people prefer them to Mercruiser. The main thing is to make sure that there is local service available for it or that you are going to do all the work.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Over the years I've had about 10 or 11 boats. Both Mercruiser and Volvo. Never had drive problems with any of them. There are things I like more about the Volvo though. The cone clutch is very smooth to shift, the water pump impeller is so easy to change, the drive is more heavy duty, and I like the way Volvo does the shift cable with no boot to leak. When buying a new boat I look for Volvo. Dave-R

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the info guys. I been doing a little bit of reading and they say the Volvo set up is good but the XDP drive has a lot of issues. What ever that means. Never did indicate the issues. Hmmm.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
The VP/Chevy powerplants are not only solid and reliable, but the DIY servicing is also a quick learning curve. The only bugs on certain models were the fuel pumps which had a tendency to get clogged with internal paint, and the steering actuator can sometimes need replacement at circa 10 year interval or so. Grab a shop manual and you should be GTG.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
I agree with oldjeep, I see the 4.3 and am thinking this is GM product, so your only concern that I'm aware of is the lower unit outdrive, which in this case is a Volvo. Boat looks nice and appears to be well cared for.

QC

Supreme Mariner
the XDP drive has a lot of issues.
They were mostly corrosion issues, but you are looking at an SX style drive. Not even close to the same thing. The SX is a fine drive, more closely resembles a Bravo if comparing to Merc. If you can get service locally, as OJ notes, it is a Chevy 4.3, same as what Merc uses, and the SX is very good. I guess it is prudent to note that Alpha experience, and even cheap, complete replacement drives are very common, so back again to service question. Good luck!

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks again for all the useful information. Don't know what I do without you guys. Made my decision a lot easier. I just hope its not one of those too good to be true kind of deal. I think im going for it

Thalasso

Commander
Thanks for all the info guys. I been doing a little bit of reading and they say the Volvo set up is good but the XDP drive has a lot of issues. What ever that means. Never did indicate the issues. Hmmm.

The xdp has a tolerance issue with the u-joints rubbing the bellows causing premature wear on the bellows which intern causes water intrusion.Volvo never had a fix for it.
I boat with a person that has xdp's but has learned how to trim the motor so to not tear up the bellows.
Don't worry. They didn't make the XDP in 1996

Last edited:

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The original plan was to meet this guy half way from where I live. It's still a 2 hour drive for me and him. My wife's uncle lives at the half way point and I was going to put muffs on it and test it out that way. Now he requesting to meet a different town that's closer for him but farther for me so I have no way to test it without water flow. Don't think I should chance it without seeing it run

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's not like I don't have a boat right now. I have a 3.0L mercruiser 17foot. I just thought since the boat for sale is a 19 footer with a V6 would be a nice upgrade. Wants vs needs I guess

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
I would just take the extra time and go to his place, and if a lake is close insist on a lake test with the understanding that you will buy it then and there if all goes ok. Then see if the conversation changes any.

I went 4.5 hours one way for my last purchase after a couple of phone conversations with the seller, would not have bought it if could not at least been run on muffs. I also took a good battery with me in case the one in the boat had problems. In my case the boat was in great condition and the seller was very honest and helpful, had it ready to run in his driveway. It was in January so lake test was not possible, bet it being an outboard I could see the good "pee" hole stream and could blip the throttle to check for response, and took the chance on the hull being secure. For an I/O I would want a lake test though (or a DEEP discount), too many (expensive) places to leak or have overheat problems not readily apparent.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I agree, no deal if you can't at least hear it run. If you do offer up to go to his place and he wont let you lake test it even if there is a lake close by, still no deal..... There should be a lot of boats going up for sale real soon......

Another Volvo fan.......

Last edited:

2fast4u_evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think you guys are right. This could be a too good to be true experience. I bought my last bought 8 hours away (Calgary alberta) and the guy insisted that I take it on the lake for a run. He said he wouldn't let anyone buy it until they got a chance to run it so that way it avoids any troubles in the future. That right there sold me.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Buying a boat without running it on the water would be like an arranged marriage, no photos, and unknown bloodlines.