1989 Blue Fin Spectrum - does blue book value include engine? good starter boat?

ksoiss25

Cadet
Hi,

Very new to boating. Saw this boat on Craigslist and was wondering if it would be a good first boat?

http://thumb.craigslist.org/boa/4627974231.html

It has an 85 HP Force on it. I think the boat and motor are in decent shape. I was trying to do the NADA value but was confused because it looks like these boats may have come as a package deal, so I'm not sure whether to include engine separately or together with the value. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thank you.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats kso.

First off, bluebook, NADA guides, etc, are pretty much worthless as far as boats go.
Local pricing will fluctuate widely across the nation, as will seasonal pricing.

My cousin had one of these boats.
I am not impressed.
Very crowded, lots of wasted space.
While the hull itself was ok, the rest of the boat was pretty cheaply made.
Not really good for fishing, or skiing.

As far as the motor goes, I am not a fan of Force motors.
I have owned a few, just will not travel down that road again.
Service is difficult to find, many shops won't touch them.
Parts support has been dropped by Mercury for the most part.

Now is the time to be looking for a boat, as there should be many bargains available in the next 4 weeks.
Decide what you want to use the boat for, and look for a boat that suits your needs.
No boat is perfect, and you will always compromise a little, but this boat is a compromise no matter what you use it for.

Just my opinion.

This one might be worth a look.

http://thumb.craigslist.org/boa/4571088314.html

I
ts an 18'er, nice and deep.
Will perform ok, with the 65 hp motor, but would run better with a 90 on the back.

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
I think both boats are priced well, but I tend to agree with Roscoe about the Force power plant on the first one. I don't think at this price point, you can get dinged too bad, if it runs and you can sea test it, you may want to consider it. both are priced very well, I would feel better with the Starcraft,
I own a Spectrum (Pro Angler) with a 90 Merc and she is a very nice fishing, ski, tube boat. It's a great boat for Great Lakes salmon fishing, very high sides and tons of room up front and in back. My Spectrum is configured way different than the one you are looking for. It's worth considerably more too. Have fun looking

ksoiss25

Cadet
Thanks Greenbush. I was a little nervous about the engine, and I guess rightfully so. The reason I really liked the Spectrum is that it seems like a nice hybrid between fish and leisure. I like the open bow aspect. And you're right about not going too wrong at this price - I'm just looking for something cheap to learn on

NYBo

Admiral
The Blue Fin looks to be in good shape, and not too badly priced for what it is. I have no problem with the Force outboard, but that's because I've become far too acquainted with their workings lately.:embarassed:

That being said, I would be more inclined to seriously check out the Starcraft in roscoe's post, just because it's a tinny. Rotten stringers and transom don't enter the equation like they might with the Blue Fin.

NYBo

Admiral
BTW, NADA will state whether the motor is included in the price listed. But, as stated, those kind of guides are pretty meaningless with boats this old.