Considering "oldish" boat - Am I crazy?

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess I am experiencing a late mid life crisis - at 54, I am interested in purchasing my first boat. Given current financial commitments (college, weddings, etc etc), I am in the market for a used boat. I want something we can ski from (Hope to be able to get back up on a slalom ski, and Im a bit bigger (50 lbs) than in my younger slalom skiing days). I would like to keep it at least 5 years, maybe more. and want it to have enough power to get me up on a ski with 5-6 people on board.

I have my eye on an 1997 Crownline, but am looking at every option I can. I have not seen the boat personally yet - but I have looked VERY closely at the sticky thread on new members buying a boat (a GREAT resource, in fact, have created my own spreadsheet version of that as a checklist when I do go to see a boat). This particular boat has a 5.7L Alpha Drive, so I think it will have PLENTY of power. It appears to be well cared for, but who knows looking at pictures on the internet.

One thing that kind of has me spooked is rot. I have read so much about soft floors, and rotten stringers in the past three weeks that I am starting to question my sanity of buying a boat this old, given my intended use, and desire to keep it for so long. Im not afraid of a little sweat equity in a boat, but replacing a floor and/or stringers is beyond my skillset, and available time, so Im a bit sensitive to it.

I've read about doing tap tests, looking for spider cracking, etc etc etc. I get that its all about how well a boat has been cared for - but given my level of experience would I be better off waiting another year to save some cash up, and buy a newer boat? The clock is ticking... figure if I am going back for some slalom skiing, I don't have TONS of time...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

jc

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

I think we are all 50#'s over our younger self

many well cared for boats that are 30 years old are in much better shape than some not-so-well-cared-for boats in the 10 year old range.

if the crownline was garage kept, and it looks good. have it surveyed.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Always buy new.
Never keep a boat for more than 3 years.

NOT.
Nothing wrong with older boats if you find one that was well cared for.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I agree with the comments above. I have a 1998 Wellcraft that seems to have been used a lot, and well-maintained by previous owner(s). It's a great boat. I understand Crownlines are well-made boats. I'm not sure of the configuration or weight of the boat you're looking at. But I think getting up on a slalom ski with 5 or 6 people in the boat is going to be a tall order for any boat purchased with some financial constraints

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
+1 what Scott said.........if a 97 is "old", then my 87 is wicked old! :) condition, condition, condition.. get it checked out.. if your handy and can perform engine compression check,,, have fun looking, my only advice would be if you are stuck between say a larger boat or a smaller one, get the larger boat......AND. make sure the trailer is meant to haul your boat.. sometimes the GTW (gross trailer weight) capabilities is to small for the boat... trailer breaks will be a must for a 20ft boat too.

Last edited:

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So from what I have been able to find, its approximately 2500 lbs dry. Im hoping with a 5.7L it could have enough of a hole shot to get me out of the water. Having said that, I tried multiple times behind my nephews Malibu Sunsetter, and failed miserably. Could be that I need to be in better shape? Nah, couldnt be. Kept pulling the handle out of my hands just as I was starting to plane the ski. I know this, I wear out a lot faster at 54 than I did at 24.

Ive been looking for a surveyor - does not seem to be a plethora of them around here, and the ones I find are associated with dealers, seems like a bit of a conflict of interest.

Right now, Im sorting out tow vehicle, and storage options... have insurance estimate. Assuming that all works out, Ill contact the current owner, and arrange a visit.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Getting a big 50s man up on one ski with five or six in the boat is a pretty tall order. A 5.7L would have to be propped right for sure. As mentioned above, a 17 year old boat is all about condition, condition, condition. My Four Winns is now 12 years old. It shocks a lot of people when I tell them how old the boat is. It looks much newer. I saw one like mine a couple years ago that was five years newer than mine and it was trashed- kept outside year-round uncovered, never cleaned, and on and on.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Personally I go with an aluminum hull then you have no rot to contend with. Rivets are very simple to repair. I have had two glass boats in my 50 yr of boating and will never go back to glass. For me aluminum hulls are the only way to go. Less weigh, less power needed, no rot, no painting and polishing, better fuel economy, easier to tow etc etc. My two cents anyway.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate the thoughts.

I found another Crownline about an hour away from me (this time at a dealer - they seem to specialize in service/maintenance). This one is a 2000 180, with the 3.0L engine. It is about 3K less expensive than the 182 I mentioned above, and of course three years newer. My understanding is that in 1998, Crownline changed the stringers to treated wood, so perhaps a bit less risk of rot (assuming it is well cared for).

Before I burn an afternoon going to look at this boat, I would appreciate comments:
Pros: (no particular order)
  • Less risk of stringer rot (treated wood stringers)
  • Better mileage (3.0 vs 5.7)
  • Lower absolute purchase cost
  • Some level of assurance that boat is in good mechanical order (dealer check out)
  • Lower cost to insure (3K lower purchase price)
  • Three years newer (not sure what that REALLY means to me)
  • Understand the 3.0 is a very reliable engine - easy to work on??
  • Lighter boat
    • Better skiing wake
    • Easier to tow (probably with my current car which can tow 3750 - BIG cost savings)
    • Easier to drive (for others, especially my wife)?
Cons:
  • May not have enough hole shot to get me up on slalom ski, even if I go with two in boat, one in water (minimum legal).
  • Noisy? That's just a guess, really have no idea.
  • Propped to get me out of the water, may not have enough speed for good skiing (I live in Colorado, understand need lower pitch prop)
  • Pay relatively more from dealer (vs private sale)?
Im thinking that I should be able to ski on 2 skis behind this boat ok, but I suspect Slalom may not be possible (remember, Im and "old" dude over 200lbs). If true that is a big negative, maybe a deal breaker.

Am I thinking about this right? Am I missing anything?

jc

rbh

Fleet Admiral
If your thinking of slalom sking just as you said your going to need the torque to get that hole shot to get you out of the water.
So having 5-6 people in the boat with just a 5.7 motor might be asking a bit much.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I called today on the boat I referenced in the original post... 1997 Crownline 182 with 5.7L Mercruiser Alpha outdrive It was stored indoors up until last summer, and has been outdoors but covered since. It has been winterized, and de-winterized every year, but has not been in the water last season or this season yet. It has 250 hours on it. The current owner is the 2nd owner, and purchased the boat from a friend.

The carb was rebuilt and outdrive serviced 3 years ago. The current owner told me who serviced it in the past (so can check into that). Im told there are no soft spots in the floor, and that the original interior is in mint condition (which appears to be true in the pictures).

One thing that has me a little concerned is that it has not been in the water for the last two seasons... should I be concerned about dry rot/leaks? The current owner did indicate that if I get serious he will allow a water test with a deposit (which seems quite reasonable to me).

Thoughts? At least in conversation, this sounds like a pretty nice boat. Im thinking I should go have a look this weekend. I have my checklist at the ready!

jc

Last edited:

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I found out the hard way about spongy decks with my 1985 Galaxy. What I now know is that walking on the deck ought to be like walking on a hard wood floor in your house. You know what spongy feels like. Don't accept the word of the current owner that the decks are solid. Either pay somebody to survey the boat or walk every inch of the deck yourself. That includes in the aft part of the boat underneath the doghouse if there's any access on either side of the engine to stand. That's where my deck was soft. Ordinarily you wouldn't see it and you'd never normally be able to stand there but my entire rear doghouse and bench seat slide forward, which gave me access. I wish I'd tested there.

You also want to make sure there's no give in your transom. Now, I would stack my boat's integrity today to anything new coming out of the factory... but I had to fix a lot of stuff to get it to that point. So an old boat was bad for me. If I die tomorrow, that same old boat will be wonderful for somebody else. The bottom line: it's not the newness or the apparent age that counts, it's the condition.

And I absolutely would insist on a water test. Pay the man his deposit and have him come along with you. You will at least know if it was seaworthy when you bought it,... or you will save yourself a lot of heartache if you didn't.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My buddy just bought a 17 year old Searay bowrider from the original owner. He was a contractor that had indoor heated storage and that's where he kept the boat. Reportedly, the boat was used only 11 times in all those years, and the engine was professionally maintained. It had less than 100 hours on it.

I saw the boat after he got it. Showroom condition, no doubt. It looked like it was built just yesterday. The engine ran perfect.

The first time out his wife sort of jumped into the bow section and her foot went right thru the deck. Soft would be an understatement. We later found soft spots in the back near the engine as well. I'm sure the guts of the boat is rotted to the core.

So, the guy was meticulous in his maintenance, but he left the bilge full of water for 17 years and it rotted out the guts of the boat.

Bottom line is that even the best inspection can't verify how the boat was treated in its infancy.

​Buying new aint a bad idea.....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I bought a 1988 Cris Craft 19' cuddy not to use but rather as donor boat for my Chief project. It had all new upholstery, seats and she looked great. The guy said "take her out and have fun". Within 10 minutes it was clear to me that the boat was not seaworthy and completely rotten. The big thing they like to do is double deck over the original rotten one and it's easy to find by looking inside around the cutout for the bilge area. Peel back some carpet and take a peek. There are good boats out there but you have to know people sell bad ones too.

So it had a solid deck with one small soft spot back by the dog house but take a look at what I found when I go into her for the fuel tank removal.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Survey Survey Survey...... They CAN find soft spots and wet wood
That makes sense of course. But anyone who is looking at a 17 year old boat with an asking price of $1500 isn't likely to be willing to spend the extra $, that of course is non-refundable.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
That makes sense of course. But anyone who is looking at a 17 year old boat with an asking price of $1500 isn't likely to be willing to spend the extra $, that of course is non-refundable.

Not sure where you got $1500.... the asking price of the 17 yr old boat hasn't been mentioned except that it is $3000 MORE than a 14 yr old boat he also looked at.....

Sure at $1500... check it out best ya can and roll the dice knowing the engine and trailer are worth the price of sale... at $5000, $10,000 or more, check it out best ya can, sea trial it, and then if there is ANY doubt pay for a non-refundable survey..... Last I heard rotten boats are generally non-refundable too.

EDIT: I think maybe you were quoting the price of ur buddy's boat..... I was talking about what the O/P should do and not what ur buddy did..... :)

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I have a 1996 Crownline 202BR. They are solid boats but like any other boat it is about care. Crownlines are built a little better than some others but still prone to the elements if not taken care of. The boat I had before was a 1983 and was also solid. It sold for $100 more than I bought it from 7 years earlier.