New(to me) Valco 12' 7'' aluminam boat

Jacob190000

Cadet
Hey guys I just purchased a 1966 Valco aluminum boat. I wanted to get your opinions and any advice you may have for me regarding maintenance, care, etc. I bought it from a nice guy who told me it had no leaks and had been well maintained. It measures 42'' across at the floor of the beam, and 58'' at the top of the beam. I assume a boat this narrow is going to be somewhat tippy, but hopefully not so much it makes it uncomfortable. It came with an older 9.5 johnson but I plan on using my 8hp 1991 suzuki that runs like it's brand new. Let me know what you guys think! I paid $450 for trailer, 6gal tank, paddles, fish finder, etc.

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander
For $450, you got a nice buy! The boat itself won't need much maintenance and care. Basic stuff - check for leaks, and if there are any, rebuck the rivets around it. Check that the transom is solid. If there is wood in the boat, keep it out of the elements as much as reasonably possible. The only real regular maintenance that package will need (not counting the motor), is to repack the bearings on the trailer once a season.

Jacob190000

Cadet
Thanks for the response pckeen. I have never repacked wheel bearings before but I see there is plenty of how-to's online. I will probably get on that within the next couple of days that way I don't have to worry about trailer issues. I figure I am also going to replace the seats soon as they are pretty dirty and old. I am planning on buying a couple of these http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Plastic-...F8&qid=1408550265&sr=8-6&keywords=boat+chairs any advice on placement of these chairs for stability? I appreciate any information you guys are willing to give me, I will also be researching this stuff on my own. Happy Wednesday everyone, we're half way to the weekend!

fishrdan

Admiral
I am planning on buying a couple of these http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Plastic-...F8&qid=1408550265&sr=8-6&keywords=boat+chairs any advice on placement of these chairs for stability?

Good choice on the seats. I've had those in 2 boats, and while they don't look like much, they are comfortable. I attached them to the boat with with a seat swivel, so you can move around the boat without getting up. (Seat swivel was attached to a piece of plywood, which was attached to the boat.

For seat placement, that's going to be up to you. Either run them all straight down the center, or offset the rear seat a bit to allow for operation of the outboard. If you offset the rear seat, the boat will lean to that side. On my boat I offset all the other heavy stuff in the boat (gas battery, etc) to balance out the boat,,, due to the offset rear seat.

If offsetting the rear seat, I would take the boat out without the seats attached, then sit in different positions so you can find out where the seats should be located.

Jacob190000

Cadet
Awesome, good to know Fishrdan. I will have to try some different seat locations out before I bolt them down into the plywood for good. I decided that I am also going to replace the older plywood bench slats with some new ones. Measuring the current plywood slats I get about 1/3 inch thick and it appears to me to be just regular plywood. I do not have the budget/time to buy marine grade boards for the bench, and so I plan on going to the local hardware store( jerry's or lowes") and get some outdoor plywood. I will have them cut the pieces to the right size. I am going to buy some epoxy to paint a nice layer all over the boards to protect them from water splashes, etc. Does anyone have any tips regarding what type of epoxy/plywood to buy? I appreciate any feedback people have on the matter. Either way I will take some before and after pictures of what I have done so others can see.

Jacob190000

Cadet
Took the boat out to the lake this weekend and thought I'd share a picture with you guys. I attached my 8hp Suzuki as well as a trolling motor. Boat had no leaks and was actually quite stable. Check out my video on youtube of us cruising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV4lhK7zOxQ

11.jpg

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0