Too much steering wheel play

boosch1

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1973 23 ft t craft with mores mechanical steering. The problem is that I can turn the steering wheel completely around right or left before the outdrive will respond. Can the steering be tightened or are there gears inside that are stripped.
rich

southkogs

Staff member
OB, Mercruiser, OMC - what're we talking about here? Do you know what kind of helm you have?

boosch1

Seaman Apprentice
the steering wheel has about 360 degrees of free play before it will move the OD left or right out of water. it steers when in water but have trouble keeping her in straight line. I will look at helm tomorrow and let you know what kind. I am assuming a mores since it says it on the cover that mounts to dash. the cables look fine under dash. on cover it has a cap that says oil. thanks boosch1 will post pics tomorrow

Bondo

Staff member
the steering wheel has about 360 degrees of free play before it will move the OD left or right out of water. it steers when in water but have trouble keeping her in straight line. I will look at helm tomorrow and let you know what kind. I am assuming a mores since it says it on the cover that mounts to dash. the cables look fine under dash. on cover it has a cap that says oil. thanks boosch1 will post pics tomorrow

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Which outdrive by Whom,..??

Odds are, the Best way out is a new Helm/ Cable Kit, but that depends on What outdrive by Whom,.....