Resealing top and bottom of boat

natsgrampy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
89 Sea Ray 200CC, The sealant around the boat, above and below the trim is looking a little "ratty". I would like to put new sealant / caulk. Not sure what to use, a marine sealant like 3M 5200 or a caulk.
Any recommendations what should be used for this?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
don't use 5200 it becomes like glue. You also want ssomething a bit more flexible. I've used west marine multi caulk - Iboats probably has something similar.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Are you referring to caulk above and below the boat's rub rails? If so, that is not a usual practice.

geneseo1911

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are you referring to caulk above and below the boat's rub rails? If so, that is not a usual practice.

Really? I haven't really looked at any boats other than mine, but it was caulked there, top & bottom. Some of it had separated from the hull, and when I re-caulked it I finally solved a nagging "leak" that I had been trying to figure out for 3 years. I used 5200 'fast set'. I have 5200 in other spots that is 4 years old & still flexible. The biggest problem I had with it is that its so runny and takes so long to set, it drips out of places before it can sure. The fast set works much better for applications where dripping or running could be a problem.

ETA: I used the 5200 because I had it open and I didn't want to order something else. I'm sure a real caulk would be more appropriate. I was only fixing a few small areas, if I was doing the whole thing I probably wouldn't have used the 5200 as it can be such a bear to remove.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Above the waterline I would use 4200 as a sealer. The trim covers the seam between the cap and the hull. Remove the trim, clean off the ratty stuff and lay down a new bead of 4200.