Used Boat Purchase Advice

RobTX

Cadet
I'm thinking about purchasing a boat, but there's some hull damage. Would damage like this turn you off from buying a boat?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhhmmm, NO! Not for me!! Sounds like very poor care and maintenance to me. For $20 Grand I'm pretty sure you can find a LOT better buy.

I wouldn't walk away...I'd run!!!

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The damage can be fixed, but I would look the boat over very carefully for any hidden damage that is not so obvious. They would have to price it right for me to take a chance on it.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Careless boating and/or trailer use to do this amount of damage. The keel damage should be fixed before any water gets into the core material. Damage to the sheer strake (spray rail) looks like dock damage caused by a careless/high speed approach. What size boat are we looking at? Is it an older one and what are they asking for it? I suggest you look it up on NADA and determine if you want to make an offer based on the damage and condition of the rest of the boat, engine and trailer.

erie_guy

RobTX

Cadet
Asking Price is $18,500. NADA runs from $17,990 (low) to $20,365 (average). Performed a buyer's check- compression ok, 3/8 spark plugs were loose. A few lights to fix, one sprayer head for the pressure water system. Steering cable and Tachometer need replacing. Stainless steel prop has a few dings on it. Outdrive visual inspection ok - bellows intact. All other systems function normally.

I lake tested the boat- we were out for about an hour. The boat runs well- no engine noise, doesn't take on water and appears otherwise solid. I'm guessing about $2,500 to put the boat back in top condition from what I see.

Thoughts?

YoungMind

Seaman
I would offer him half. You could be chasing goblins for years with hull damage. That guy is dreaming if he thinks he can get more than the low amount on NADA. That's like putting a car on craigslist without an engine or trans and saying "But Blue Book says $12,000 in excellent condition!"

Like was said RUN!!!

oldjeep

Admiral
Asking Price is $18,500. NADA runs from $17,990 (low) to $20,365 (average). Performed a buyer's check- compression ok, 3/8 spark plugs were loose. A few lights to fix, one sprayer head for the pressure water system. Steering cable and Tachometer need replacing. Stainless steel prop has a few dings on it. Outdrive visual inspection ok - bellows intact. All other systems function normally.

I lake tested the boat- we were out for about an hour. The boat runs well- no engine noise, doesn't take on water and appears otherwise solid. I'm guessing about $2,500 to put the boat back in top condition from what I see.

Thoughts?

$2500 seems low. My father inlaw was just quoted around 3K to just fix some cosmetic gell issues - that boat is more than cosmetic.

RobTX

Cadet
The boat is one of three models that meet my family's requirements. People hang on to Hurricanes- particularly the 217 and it's my top pick. The way I was looking at this was that I don't mind getting my hands dirty fixing minor stuff, and if I can get my hands on a fundamentally sound boat with cosmetic issues it might be worth it. Looking for opinions as I'm on the fence here. Part of me sees potential to restore this boat and make it shine- getting it at a good price means I can get good value for the effort; hurricanes are solid boats. Still, part of me is concerned that there's 'hidden' issues. The evaluation on the boat thus far doesn't say 'run' to me, but, this is my first boat and despite being around boats all my life I admit to not having the direct 'hands on' needed to really feel this one out.

I know what a well maintained boat is supposed to look like and this one's a bit rough. I'm debating whether or not it's work taking a risk on.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you considered getting the boat surveyed? It won't reveal all the issues but would at least confirm or deny some of your suspicions. At best, it could uncover more issues that could sway you to pass or use as leverage in negotiations. Call around to local marinas. They should be able to recommend surveyors.

Last edited:

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
On the internet, I see this type of boat can be purchased for about $14K with a 150 hp outboard. Do search Google for this model boat before pulling the trigger on this one. The 2003 Florida boat I found may have a bit of UV damage, but did not disclose any hull damage. Shop some more, you should be able to find what you desire without worrying what else is an issue.