Moving old boat to ramp to take out of water

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
I'm gonna try to buy my neighbors 1960's LoneStar Del Ray 15 aluminum boat. It's been at his dock for years (over 10). Unused but cover in the winter with a tarp. I'm gonna try to get it really cheap.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry hit the post button by accident. The problem is it's in the water with no motor or trailer. If I do purchase it I need to get it to The ramp almost a mile away. I know the boat floats and has no major leaks. The floor is somewhat solid and could be stood on. I'm gonna use my lil rider trailer to get it home once I get it to the ramp. I don't have sea tow and don't plan on using a service to bring it their. The transom is rotted but can handle a motor. I plan on using my 18hp Nissan to get it to the ramp nice and slow. My friend would follow me in my 14ft tin boat. It hasn't been registered in quite sometime. If the police stop me I will explain my situation. Of Corse I will have the required safety equipment on board the boat required. Anyone have any suggestions on my plan to transport this boat?

oldjeep

Admiral
Might as well just tow it with your 14 ft boat rather than bother installing a motor.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
My 14ft tin boat is a little to small to tow that boat. But in a pinch I would try. Current is a bit strong In my area so It would put a lot of strain on my 14ft boat.

oldjeep

Admiral
My 14ft tin boat is a little to small to tow that boat. But in a pinch I would try. Current is a bit strong In my area so It would put a lot of strain on my 14ft boat.

I think that I'd find a bigger boat to tow with then - although a 14 aluminum pulling a 15 doesn't sound like a stretch. Putting a motor on a rotted transom seems like a bad idea.

Out of curiosity, what does the 15 weigh?

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
Well, according to a ad for the boat back in 1960's it weighs 750

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
Well, according to a ad for the boat back in 1960's it weighs 750lbs.

oldjeep

Admiral
Plan B - get 3 friends and pick it up, put it on the trailer where it is docked ;)

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
Great idea. Only one problem, 50ft of mud that's thigh deep. Also, I don't know if I could get the trailer in his yard because of a 3ft retaining wall. I'm gonna see how much the local marina charges to rent boats. If it's nothing to bad, under $75 per hour I might rent one and use that to remove the boat. Quite a little dilemma here. their a bunch of boats in the creek that fell into disuse because of old age and storms wiping out their docks. The last two hurricanes wiped out a lot of the home made docks made out of 2x4's, 4x4's, & 2x6's. Many people in my neighbor hood have lived their for 30+ Years. Their older and can't rebuild the docks themselves and don't have want to put the money into rebuilding cause they never used Them.

Ned L

Commander
A 14 ft towing a 15 ft boat is no problem. Most I have done is a 12 ft aluminum john boat with a 2 hp pushing (because I was alone & it was easier) a 24 ft diesel powered inboard about 3 miles against the current. A bit slow, but no problem.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I totally agree with the above. Your 18 Hp motor will have NP towing that empty boat especially since it has NO motor. In the water the drag co-efficient for that 750 lb boat is extremely low. It will be smooth sailing for you. No worries.

southkogs

Staff member
I'll +3 that ... I've towed boats in our 14' several times. Tow it nice and easy.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I once pushed a 38' sportfisher around a marina with an 8' pondmaster and an electric trolling motor..... with a 7.5 or bigger you will have NO problem towing that little boat 1 mile.... I mean REALLY REALLY REALLY no problem.... I wouldn't hesitate to tow a 20' I/O w a 14'er

just take it easy... 6 mph is more than enough

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was towed almost 3/4 a mile when I blew up the stringer drive on my avanti by two kids in a 12' boat with a 9.8. a few years ago, my buddy pulled his 37' Irwin ketch 3 miles with his dinghy and a 4hp suzuki.

so what is the problem pulling a 15' boat with a 14' and a 18hp?