New boat owner and new to forum, hopefully good deal on a Four Winns?

schweizer

Recruit
Hi, here's our story. 2nd post to this forum after reading here a lot over the past month. I've been looking around at boats for about 6 weeks. We have 2 kids ages 7 & 5, like tubing, skiing, wake boarding, some fishing. Wanting something large enough that we can also use at the ocean on calm days, Sacramento delta/SF bay, San Juan Islands, etc. I'm tired of fixing up my in-laws old early-1980's Bayliner 16' Capri w/ smokey 2-stroke Force 120 outboard.

So... I'm now the proud owner of a 1993 Four Winns Freedom 180, OMC sterndrive, V6 4.3L. [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Beautiful condition -- I thought. It was under a carport and boat cover for the past 3 years. Owner recently divorced, kids grown, downsizing. We checked it all over. No sun damage on the vinyl, a few small almost unnoticeable vinyl rips, good fiberglass, paint. Engine very clean -- looked almost new, oil was amber, outdrive missing some paint but no significant corrosion. [/FONT](Didn't see a Hobbs engine hour meter.)[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif] Hooked up fresh battery and electrical seemed OK. Couldn't try the bilge pump though. Briefly tried the starter and it turned but I didn't want to start it w/o any water.

Agreed at $4000 w/ extras like neoprene life vests, various skis, kneeboard, 2 new props, ropes, towable (tube), etc. Put clause in Bil
[/FONT]l of Sale that I would be able to check it out on the water. Good thing, too: took it to the local lake the same day and the engine started OK in the water, with a lot of smoke (presumably from winterizing fogging oil). Motor settled down in a few mins, smoke cleared, and idled smoothly without stalling. Shifted into fwd/rev smoothly. BUT the boat started to SINK !! I opened up the engine cover and there was already 4-5" of water and it was coming in fairly quickly around the outdrive. Bilge pump wasn't working, either! Arrgh! Wife quickly brought the trailer back and I pulled it out of the water. This all happened in front of the Sheriff. Took my "new" boat over to Water World for $90 check up. It turns out the seal between the outdrive & transom had gone bad from sitting so long -- costs $1000 to fix (remove engine & outdrive, reseal, put back together). *Seller* agreed to fix first & sell for *same price* as we originally agreed to. We're picking it up today and trying it out tomorrow. It would have cost $350 for complete tune/checkup by Water World anyway, including removal and greasing outdrive, etc.

Overall, I get a new looking boat, equivalent of complete overhaul by a boat dealer, and (hopefully) a good price!

Marcus
Grants Pass, Oregon

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
welcome to the forum.

We had a software update a couple month ago and still working the glitches; try using photobucket or similar for pics.

If thats all that is wrong with it you got a good deal

I remember going thru Grants Pass as a kid.

Going to the San Juans next week (Lopez/Orcas)

Last edited:

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds like you got a fair deal, especially if the previous owner kicks in for the repairs. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the link I'm posting.

Your drive setup is outdated. OMC left the marine biz back in the early 90's. Parts are still available but it's getting more and more difficult to find techs who know how to work on them. I owned one for a few years and it's absolutely critical you keep it adjusted properly. Four Winns makes a nice boat and it sounds like yours has been well maintained.

schweizer

Recruit
Thank you for the advice. I'll read about keeping the drive adjusted.

Minor issues:
Well, the bilge pump turned out to just be stuck. The mechanic freed it up and it works fine now. (Fingers crossed.)
There was straight gas on the head after starting it and we wondered about a fuel leak somewhere, but the boat shop couldn't replicate it. They think it just came out of the carb from winterizing. ??
The tachometer is frozen at 1000 rpms. I'll see if it works since they fixed that transom seal. If not a tach gauge is easy enough to replace.

Marcus

pckeen

Commander
Sounds like you got a sweet deal. Enjoy it. I wouldn't get too stressed out about the tach. If you want an exact replacement, try ebay - lots of tachs on there.

schweizer

Recruit
Thanks!

Fun day at the lake on Monday (2 days ago). Engine and drive seem to work fine. Pulled tube, knee board, slalom skis no problem. The tachometer, voltmeter, and trim gauges are wonky though. The tachometer and voltmeter work some of the time. When they fail, they don't fail at the same time. Loose connections probably. The trim gauge doesn't work at all -- maybe I'll just take it out and replace with a depth gauge that fits that hole. How many people use the trim gauge anyway? Doesn't everyone adjust trim by how the boat is riding and the load? I'll check the sender and wiring later today. The other thing is to add USB and 12 V sockets -- no way to keep the cell phone and a VHF radio charged.

On a totally different topic, do any of you take boats this size to the San Juan Islands?

Marcus

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks!

Fun day at the lake on Monday (2 days ago). Engine and drive seem to work fine. Pulled tube, knee board, slalom skis no problem. The tachometer, voltmeter, and trim gauges are wonky though. The tachometer and voltmeter work some of the time. When they fail, they don't fail at the same time. Loose connections probably. The trim gauge doesn't work at all -- maybe I'll just take it out and replace with a depth gauge that fits that hole. How many people use the trim gauge anyway? Doesn't everyone adjust trim by how the boat is riding and the load? I'll check the sender and wiring later today. The other thing is to add USB and 12 V sockets -- no way to keep the cell phone and a VHF radio charged.

On a totally different topic, do any of you take boats this size to the San Juan Islands?

Marcus
The gauges just may need to have all the connections cleaned and re tightened, I wouldn't go buying new anything till you investigate better. Trim and tilt gauge is nice to have, but I agree with you, the way I trim the boat is based on rpms and how the boat is riding.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Sounds like you got an adequate price now that the bellows has been replaced. Glad the seller worked with you on that. As for the trim gauge, for me, on my lake, at least it is essential to know how high the drive is given you can 't just peak back and see it like on an outboard. The pics didn't post so can't really comment on visuals but I will say that I'd have not purchased an OMC given 1996 is the modern version of the carbed Mercruiser and you were so close to that age wise.