Fuel additives-what to use these days?

jerseydevil

Seaman Apprentice
What's everyone's take on what to add to the gas tank. Stabil,Start Tron or Pri-G etc.?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Nothing during the season when fuel is being used and stabil when stored for the winter

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
non ethanol gas while running and then stabil when storing.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I use nothing but a quality, ethanol based fuel system cleaner during the season. Use Stabil-marine for lay up

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My Kubota riding mower was running erratic. Tech said ethanol fuel was the problem after cleaning up carb and to use SeaFoam. I started to put it in everything. Only doing it for a couple of weeks so have to see results.

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm with Bob. I bought a 25hp 4 stroke from a marina last year. At the time of sale, they used Stabil to lay up. A year later, I hooked up a tank and it fired and ran when I barely hit the key. I use 93 ethanol, no additives, and don't let it sit during the season. Put 40 miles on her with no issues.

I doubt if anyone here had the issues this spring I had with bad layup on my 2 stroke 200 Suzuki EFI. Bad layup, ethanol fuel too old, high pressure fuel pump gummed up, engine's vapor separator needle valve stuck, fuel gel in the filter/water separator, at least a gallon of water in the tank. Now, I keep the tank full, maybe a little Seafoam here and there and use it frequently. I blew through 60 gallons of fuel yesterday (300 miles total this season so far)and she has given me zero issues this year. Non ethanol, or even marina fuel is not an option for me. Keep it fresh and keep it running through. I still decarb on a separate 1 gallon tank when needed and use 93 octane. I'll run her up on Stabil on a separate tank and the main tank will be empty this time.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I am also with Bob. Use the boat regularly and plain fuel is just fine. Stabilizer for off season. Startron is snake oil, IMO. Seafoam is good stuff, but unnecessary, unless the carbs are starting to get dirty. It is certainly not needed under normal conditions.

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Regular use does help a lot. Sadly, my boat does NOT get enough !

Too combat some fuel system problems I have been having, I am going to try Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner. Its primary cleaner is polyether amine, which is also used in Techron.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Nothing.

Its primary cleaner is polyether amine, which is also used in Techron.
Agreed...If you are going to use anything on a fuel injected engine, use something that has polyether amine.

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Well I didn't have all the fancy stuff on my engine but I used Sea Foam every tank full per label directions. Went 10 years before I had to diddle the carbs and when I did, it wasn't varnish, it was little black flecks. Well fuel lines in the engine were black so I guess after 12 years of use (boat was 2 yrs old when I bought it) they decided to give up the ghost.

Mark

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a mom-&-pop gas station about 2mi from my house that exclusively sells non-ethanol fuels in all grades. Its about .15 higher per gallon, but its worth it to me. I put it in all of my 2-stroke toys and lawn equipment. This stuff gets used so infrequently that its worth it in the long run to add stabilizer or SeaFoam. Case in point....my grandfather's boat had been sitting for 5yrs with treated fuel. After charging the battery, the Merc 1000 still fired up and ran clean. Got it home and opened up the carbs to find ZERO gunk. Also, my KTM 300 dirtbike has been sitting since my last camping trip (June 6th). I pulled it out of the garage and it fired on the first kick. I'm a huge believer in using Stabil or SeaFoam regularly because I never know when my next ride or boating trip will be. Better safe than sorry!

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Sta-bil 360 marine at the every tank amount. I double for storage, just like the label says. Yes, I think it affects performance a bit, but that's better than dealing with bad gas IMO. Never know when you'll have 2 wks of rain, all of a sudden gas is a month old.

oldjeep

Admiral
Sta-bil 360 marine at the every tank amount. I double for storage, just like the label says. Yes, I think it affects performance a bit, but that's better than dealing with bad gas IMO. Never know when you'll have 2 wks of rain, all of a sudden gas is a month old.

Oh, lord month old gas. Its a wonder that my boat starts after the 6-7 month layup. E10 and no snake oil in the tank.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, I used to be more loose about it until I had to get the snow blower un-hummed for this last winter. I try to tell myself to not worry as much, but I just can't break the habit.....