Reasonable time frame for boat repair diagnosis?

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took my boat to the local marine shop Tuesday morning. I had a positive experience a few years ago at this shop when having a boat winterized, quick turn around time. So, i take the boat in right when they open Tuesday morning. I call that afternoon, he hadn't had a chance to look at it, same response Wednesday afternoon but he did tell me that Thursday looked like a really good day. I didn't call yesterday afternoon and he didn't call me either. So, now it's Friday morning. He's had 3 full days to find out something. I don't want to be the annoying customer and I know it's a busy time of year. So, give me your opinion on whether he's still well within his time frame or if I'm being unreasonable in my expectations. (after describing problem and getting input here, the guess is gimbal bearing or u-joints, if that matters).

agallant80

Commander
Its prime boating season and you have a broken boat at a repair shop. I have heard of people waiting weeks before the shop can get them in. last summer my boat broke and all of the shops told me 2-3 weeks before they can look at it. If you car concerned call around and ask other shops what their wait time is before they can get to it.

What did you take it in for?

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
From what they guys on here told me after describing my symptoms, probably u-joints or gimbal bearing. Your response is extremely helpful. I just wish he would have told me that up front!

slag

Chief Petty Officer
This is pretty much "common knowledge" Boating season, few boat shops, there is going to be backlog. Shops don't make money if they aren't busy. There are some shops up here that have a 1-2 month waiting period to get work done which is what prompts many of us to do our own work with the help from smarter people on this site.

Last edited:

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Boating season, few boat shops, there is going to be backlog. Shops don't make money if they aren't busy. There are some shops up here that have a 1-2 month waiting period to get work done which is what prompts many of us to do our own work with the help from smarter people on this site.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Perfect. I'll give him time to do his thing. I'd rather have it done correctly and wait. As mentioned, I wish he would have simply told me that up front then I would have been prepared. Thanks for the input.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Friend of mine carried his in on 7/11 and they looked at it yesterday....

Its prime time!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
We were backed up with repairs as much as 3 weeks. We told customers about the wait time,but a couple called daily,and got frustrated,took their boats away. That actually helped us get caught up,and other customers happy. One came back as no other shop could fit him in fast and once back we had him on the water 2 days later,but still 2 more weeks than he would have gotten his boat to begin with. When ya are busy,ya are busy. First come first served.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks G1G2. I'm not going to bother him again. He's got his hands full and I'm confident he will call when he is able to diagnose it. It's all good!

southkogs

Staff member
Y'know ... if you have a good marine shop to work with (and there isn't one here in Middle TN as far as I've found), and you've got decent patience in the situation, skip calling to check on it. Let the duration go a little until you're curious, then swing into the gas station and snag a six pack or 12 pack of cold Cokes and stop by. Don't try to bribe 'em, just make it a little worth their while for you to satisfy your curiosity. Keep the relationship good ... if your boat is like mine, you'll be back again sometime.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's kind of my thought. I don't wanna be "that guy" but I would have liked him to say hey, we're busy, it'll probably take a week or so to get to it. Then I would have been good. To me, he made it sound like yeah, after we get to that pontoon this morning, we'll get 'er checked out. So, that's why I asked the question here. I'm not calling. If I don't hear something by mid-week I'll swing by with something to improve the morale at the shop. Thanks for the idea.

thumpar

Admiral
Gimbal bearing and u-joints is not a hard job. You could just replace both on your own. There are a lot of people here that can walk you through it.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm glad I didn't attempt. He called today and I ran to the shop to check it out. The gimbal bearing has pretty much disintegrated. There is just a small portion of the outside ring still intact. He's going to work on carefully removing this so he doesn't mess up the aluminum housing that surrounds it. He said once that's removed that the repair is pretty straight forward. Hoping to be back on the water soon!