What's best rough water small boat?

SeaHorse

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need a boat that can run like a Cigarette but be about 13' long to fit in my garage. I think a deep-vee bottom will handle the chop best. I want something about 3 to 8 years old. I've looked at the Paradise (nee Fantasy) F-13 with a Tohatsu 40 hp and a '94 SeaRayder 80 hp jet, both 13.5 feet. Are these good boats? What other models should I be looking at? With jet boats of this age, it seems like you're getting the motor for free. Why is this?

Jango

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What's best rough water small boat?

In spite of what you might hear about poor workmanship (a bunch of bull), my 1700 Bayliner is one of the BEST rough water boats I've been in. Better than Four Winns or Baja which I owned. 17FT might be too big - look at their 14 & 15ft. You can buy them fairly cheap because of the Bad Rap.<br />Good luck

sloopy

Commander

yup gofor bayliner, there good, stay away from the 1970's!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Find a Boston Whaler 15' Mischief from the 80s. They are fairly rare but there is one on Ebay now.<br /><br />That boat is a rocket with only 70hp and one of the best rough water boats Whaler made (for ride) and, of course, it is Whaler quality.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

naughtybynature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

build your own! 12ft, 25 merc, handles VERY well, 38 mph top speed. <br />
jvn05.JPG

SeaHorse

Petty Officer 1st Class

Naughtybynature:<br /><br />I did. Ten feet, 25 Johnson (36 cubic inch model, not the wimpy small-inch type), 39 mph, handles not so good (slides), but lots of fun. Check it out here <br /><br />Nice looking boat you posted. Whats the skinny on it?

Jango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bought a GlenL kit back in 1952 when I was a teen ager. 15ft4in OA with a warmed over Ford Flathead. Did 63 MPH. Lots of Fun, both building it with My Dad and Racing on the Niagara River.<br />Your great pictures brought back some happy memories.