throttle and steering cable questions

jeremymik84

Cadet
i just bought a 1996 caravelle 1750 se with a mercruiser 3.0 and lately i have noticed steering pops when turning to the right sometimes like it needs to be greased or something.. its tought to turn to the left but i have been told thats because its fighting the current of the prop spinning.. also the throttle is very stiff and hard to push or pull into forward or reverse and makes for scary times at the dock.. i can handle it but i would prefer it to be smoother so my girlfriend could be comfortable driving it. any answers to both questions would be greatly appreciated.

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently had a similar issue with the steering on my 1989 SeaRay and solved it by lubricating the steering cable (on my setup its at the back of the engine compartment). Look for a grease fitting and start with the cheap/easy solution.

jeremymik84

Cadet
good deal, are you sure it has a grease fitting? im new to boats so im pretty lost. and the steering isnt so bad ive noticed it isnt much worse than other boats as i drove my buddies 2010 tahoe the other day, the real problem is the throttle is so hard to move