I/O or OB

agallant80

Commander
If you were buying a new boat would you go outboard or I/O? Wife and I are thinking of buying a 2nd boat for just the lake when we can't make it down to the coast:

OB +:
1. Drains its self
2. No Bellows to mess with

OB -:
Small swim platform.

I am just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this. The boat would be used for water sports, I would like to get in wake boarding. Other option is a Yamaha but I am not sure how I feel about jets.

Last edited:
I debated this one myself, and I think the answer depends on one question: how old a boat were you looking to buy?

For me, a few more OB negatives were (for an older boat):
- Noisier (assuming a 2 stroke)
- Poorer seating layout for a family boat
- Condition of transom
- General dislike of oil injection (I was assuming a 2-stroke here)

We went with an I/O as for the vintage we were buying, the swim and tanning deck were a better fit for my family, as was the cabin layout. Also a fan of the 3.0 engine as it is user serviceable, and beautifully uncomplicated.

Now if you were buying a newer boat, the four-strokes are unbelievably quiet, so that crosses of my negatives one, three and four. So really it comes down to layout and swim platform.

As I said in another thread, function trumps all, so find the boat with the layout/storage/amenities that meets what you want. IMHO, I/O vs OB will end up being just a factor of layout if you're looking at newer boats.

oldjeep

Admiral
I was thinking more along the lines of Stingray 324LR, 325LR or Yamaha 240

Not sure what those models are - but by the numbers, a 32 ft or 24ft boat for when you don't want to trailer your 25 ft boat to the lake?

agallant80

Commander
It would be a new boat, as for trailering, that's not really the issue. you can't wake board behind a 25 foot cruiser with a 5.0MPI in it.

Boydski

Seaman Apprentice
The main advantages of having an outboard for power are that you don't need to winterize the engine (all the water drains out) and if you decide to repower, it's much easier to swap out an outboard than an inboard/outdrive.

On some smaller boats, you also get more interior deck space when you have an outboard, since the motor is hanging off the transom and there is no engine cover in the cockpit.

YMMV,

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
humm....outboard powered.. full width swim platform, "family" seating. Anymore excuses? ;)

225-13.jpg

Maclin

Admiral
I recently went thru this, wanted a smaller boat for cruising and water sports, easier to tow from storage to the lake, etc. I went specifically and on purpose with an OB. If you get a good engine they do not need much maintenance, and there is no big old keyhole in the stern to keep sealed, and won't sink because of bellows problems, that kind of thing. Less complicated freeze-proofing was also a big item. Loss of swim platform was a consideration but only for discussion with the family. Also up for discussion was the higher noise level, but once my son drove it he saw the light so to speak, he was the biggest detractor for an OB. For bigger outings I still have the 22 foot V8 I/O with the platform, but for most outings it is just me or me plus 2 and the smaller 16 foot OB is the ticket.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
A couple of months ago one of the powerboating magazines compared the same boat model (~20 open bow) from one manufacturer that was available as IO, OB, and jet. OB was best in all tested categories except boat styling. Personally I prefer substance over style.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Going to join WIMUSKY on the :couch2: and eat some :pop2:

However with one comment -
I would like to get in wake boarding.
Most dedicated wake board boats are V-drives to keep the prop from becoming a Cuisinart when you stuff the wakeboard behind the boat

with an inboard, no bellows, and pretty much self draining.

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Sell the cruiser, get an OB CC or DC and a lake cottage, trailer to the coast or inland lakes. If you buy a 2nd boat, you will find the B-Liner cruiser will get used little, and cost you just as much.

oldjeep

Admiral
Going to join WIMUSKY on the :couch2: and eat some :pop2:

However with one comment - Most dedicated wake board boats are V-drives to keep the prop from becoming a Cuisinart when you stuff the wakeboard behind the boat

with an inboard, no bellows, and pretty much self draining.

Huh? What you said makes sense for wake surfing, but wakeboarding is about 60 feet back from the boat ;)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
OB - 40lbs of crap in a 5lb bag, a huge pain to work on

An I/O is an oversized heavy motor shoved into the smallest possible space! I currently own 1 outboard, and 1 I/O. The outboard is by far MUCH easier to work on... Doing almost anything to the I/O requires me to audition for Circus de soleil first. Working on an outboard (out of the water) can't be easier... Pop the cover off, and everything is right there, staring at you at eye level.

oldjeep

Admiral
An I/O is an oversized heavy motor shoved into the smallest possible space! I currently own 1 outboard, and 1 I/O. The outboard is by far MUCH easier to work on... Doing almost anything to the I/O requires me to audition for Circus de soleil first. Working on an outboard (out of the water) can't be easier... Pop the cover off, and everything is right there, staring at you at eye level.

I've had to work on and rebuild both and will take the car motor over the outboard any day of the week. Guess it depends on how your I/O or inboard is laid out, mine have all been very easy to get to. My current boat I can sit down right next to the motor on either side.

agallant80

Commander
Im lazy which is why I am leaning twards not having another I/O. I don't like that big hole in the transom. Who knows the wife thinks the Yamaha's are sexy. I have a feeling that is where things may end up.