1960s Sears 14 runabout.

Hello, I have a 1960s Sears 14 Runabout, which I am planning on fixing and using. The fiberglass is in good shape, needs gel coat, but will float. The original 28hp Sears electric start outboard is free at the top, but locked on the bottom. Instead of taking a chance trying to find parts and fix the outboard, should I buy a similar horsepower pull-start motor? With a pull-start, I could hold off on fixing the electrical system, at least for a bit, and hook up to the simple pulley steering, which requires no electrics. Also, the windshield is shattered. I have removed it, and threw away the shards. I was thinking of going out and buying two console windshields, and mounting them side by side to make a "batmobile" style cockpit. Or can I run without one? I think it looks funny without it, but would it hurt to? I plan on re-gel coating, making it red again, and having fun with it. Lucky for me, the interior only consists of two bench seats, which I will redo the wood on, and send to a local shop for vinyl. I am on a tight budget, so any tips would be great. Thanks everyone.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
There used to be a place here in central NY that could mold a new windshield if you had enough pieces.
Many older small outboards don't charge the battery so hook up is quite simple.
A momentary contact button and solenoid for start and a kill switch to stop or simply adjust the idle stop so it will stop.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
Under the "Links to share this photo", you want to paste the IMG code directly into the text of your post and this will allow the photo to show in your post. Here is a little help.
smile.gif

Last edited: