Carpet Question

mandvwagner

Seaman
When I was installing my new carpet the capret stuck to the fiberglass at one point and it made a hole in my new carpet....ARGG. Ofcourse it's in the main ilse between where the seats will be. What's my best way of patching this?

robert graham

Admiral
Well, you could cut out a square section out of the damaged carpet, then cut a matching piece of carpet the exact same size and carefully glue it in place....if done carefully it may not show much, but I expect it will show a little bit....like a patch.....then just forget about it....OR, do the entire project over!....take your pick...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
What a bummer that is, seems like good marine carpet should be a little tougher than that. You could always just pop for a deck plate and put one in there.

Thalasso

Commander
If you go the patch route like said above cut the patch from the scrap piece and lay over the damaged area and cut around the new piece. What you need to watch for is carpet is a directional pattern just like wood. You need to lay the patch the same way as whats on the floor already. Take your hand and just rub over the existing carpet and you will see the direction unless it's a berber.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Patch it. If you are careful, you will hardly be able to notice it. It will bug you forever if you don't.

mandvwagner

Seaman
Well I did a patch yesterday. We will how it looks once the glue is dry. Yea it was a bummer.

Thalasso

Commander
Did you run your hand across the carpet to find out the direction of the pattern? Take a spoon and with the edge swipe over the cut marks and it should blend it in better if the weave is going the same direction.

pckeen

Commander
Give a call to a carpet installer, and ask them to do the patch - shouldn't cost too much.

mandvwagner

Seaman
I am going to try the spoon, I just pulled the weight off the carpet when I took the picture. I like that carpet cutter.