Fuel tank question

B F H

Cadet
1988 Regal 360. My fuel gauges are not very accurate. In theory, would it be possible to stick the tank through the fill plate to check fuel level? Thanks for the replies.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Take a look at the wire connections to the fuel sender at the tank. If there's corrosion and junk that could be your problem. Disconnect, clean, replace, cover with a little dielectric grease. That did the trick on my 1998 Wellcraft 240 SE. (maybe connections at gauge too). Of course it could be other things, but it's an easy place to start

Bondo

Staff member
1988 Regal 360. My fuel gauges are not very accurate. In theory, would it be possible to stick the tank through the fill plate to check fuel level? Thanks for the replies.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Nope, ain't gonna happen,....

If you felt like going to the trouble of removing your fuel sender you could check to make sure that the gauge moves smoothly as you slowly move the float from full to empty, if it's jerky or has some dead spots you've got a bad sender.

Other than that your best bet is to empty the tank(s) and re-fill in 5 gallon increments so that you know how much is in the tank when it reads 1/4 or whatever.

B F H

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. My main concern is running out of fuel.The boat holds 275 gallons. I cant afford to fill both tanks now. I was able to stick a tape measure in the starboard side at the deck fill. What concerned me is it measured 42 inches but came back dry, meaning no gas on the tape. My gauges usually read full, less than full and I need to get fuel fast. My gauges are telling me I have fuel. Just for curiosity sake I tried to stick the tank just to confirm how much fuel I have. Thanks again.