WATER COMING OVER THE TRANSOM

letsgetbusy

Cadet
I have a Champion Bass Boat 2001 190 I purchased two months ago it has a 200 optimax and a jack plate installed the engine is raised approx. 2".My question is everytime I come to slow down from accel a lot of water comes over the back all the way to the seats.I have owned 3 different bass boats and never had this problem,im always have to use the bilge pump after slowing down,never had to do this before..Thx

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
So don't slow down that fast! Ease off the throttle... If you are taking water over you are closer to swamping the boat than you want to be!

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
This is the wake catching up with the boat after the boat stops. Slow down to a stop more slowly. Might want to check if your boat is pushing up a bigger wake than normal (i.e. trimmed to far down in the stern). Maybe the motor is too heavy for the boat.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
Backwash is very normal for bass boats. I've even seen it hit the driver. Like others have said slow down slower and trim down in the process so the stern doesn't drop so low. Watch the wake and right as it gets near the motor bump the throttle a little to outrun it. It will become second nature to you in almost no time.

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Backwash is very normal for bass boats. I've even seen it hit the driver. Like others have said slow down slower and trim down in the process so the stern doesn't drop so low. Watch the wake and right as it gets near the motor bump the throttle a little to outrun it. It will become second nature to you in almost no time.
YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^ Had to do this on every bass boat I have owned. Once you practice a while, you won't even have to look back ( behind the boat ) anymore. :D

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

yep, with a big motor...

fordmugg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yep I agree, when you slow down and the wake is coming give it a little burst of throttle

Lager

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yep, with this boat motor combo combined with the jack plate, your sitting low in the water. Just ease off the throttle before you chop it and you should be fine. In fact, you feel the stern rise up as you are on fast idle as the wake catches up. Thats when you are ok to shut it off. My trim "up" button stuck on one time, when the motor started screaming I shut it down. I got a wake that hit me hard in the shoulders and flowed over my head.

Last edited: