EYE SPLICE

bgc

Ensign
Ive watched videos and read tidbits online but still cant get the to look right.......what am I doing wrong?

NYBo

Admiral
Yes, a thimble would be a good idea or the line with chafe through at the point of contact with the swivel. Are you referring to finishing off the end? You need to taper each of the three strands and tuck them under to get a clean look. Harder to do with polypropylene rope, but doable.

bgc

Ensign
The thimble keeps falling out...I cant get it to stay tight

Thalasso

Commander
Often. dipping the eye in hot water for several minutes will shrink the eye snugly around the thimble. I don't think it's going to work on polypropylene rope.

Do a chain splice and you won't need a thimble

Ned L

Commander
If this is for an anchor rode you should not be using a swivel.
You do have a number of mechanical errors in the splice itself.
For a standard splice the tucks are always "under one, over one". I see a number of places where you are "under one over two". The strand that you are 'weaving' should always pass under one strand and then over only one strand. You also have some other funky stuff going on, but I can't quite make out from the picture what else is happening (without being able to rotate the line and trace the strands).
As a technicality, you also have a lot more tucks than are needed . I bet Polypro doesn't need more than five tucks at most.

Last edited:

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Get one of the thimbles that has the loops to hold the rope on it.

bgc

Ensign
#$@!#$! I ordered NYLON...

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Sure looks like polypropylene. Is it really stiff? Does it float?

Ned L

Commander
Looks like polypropylene to me too. Polypropylene is also commonly yellow, nylon is rarely (if ever) yellow. Swivels are not recommended for use on anchor rodes because they are a "weak link" in comparison to the other elements ( line & chain).

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
easiest way to check what it is: if it floats its Polypropylene rope. You can even check it in a sink. It really looks like PP rope and not like Nylon. There are swivels which have sufficient strength for an anchor rode but not the one you have. The "axle" (where it swivels) is to thin and the little "heads" are no match for the strength of the rope. If you want a swivel the specified break strength should be a bit higher than the one for the rope (if you trust Chinese specifications).

Last edited:

Ned L

Commander
It looks like you can see some individual fibers in the picture and they look too large to be nylon. Nylon fibers are like hair in size, PP fibers are much larger, close to sewing thread in size.

bgc

Ensign
Its poly...i got the wrong stuff.

The swivel is rated for 8100 breaking. Its an aluminum unit

NYBo

Admiral
I personally use nylon, but for the record and for those who don't know why not to use PP, WHY?

Good question! Off the top of my head:
1. It floats so it is easier for it to get fouled in the prop.
2. It doesn't stretch much at all (unlike nylon) so it is more likely to pull the anchor loose with wave action, etc. and puts a greater strain on whatever fitting on the boat you attach it to.
3. It degrades more quickly in sunlight.
4. It's stiff and rough, making it hard to handle. It's also weaker than nylon so you would need a larger diameter for the same strength, exacerbating the handling problem.