need help with porpoising

bnu2boats

Cadet
Just boat my 1st bass boat, 1994 challenger, 170 radical one with a evinrude 140 v4. Can get on plane quickly, but then starts bouncing bad. Am I triming up to fast? Have been told to put hydrofoil on, but am thinking it could be just me. Any advice/guidance from old salts would be appreciated.

NYBo

Admiral
You want to trim the motor just a bit lower than the point at which porpoising occurs. This will change based on speed, water conditions, and weight distribution. You may also be stern-heavy/bow-light. This often happens with bass boats as they often have multiple batteries, the fuel tank, people, and a heavy outboard all toward the stern. Try moving some weight forward. You might also benefit from a stern-lifting propeller and/or trim tabs.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Not trimming too fast, just too far. Unless you're trying to trim before it's on plane. Tuck the motor all the way in, get on plane then trim... As soon as it starts to porpoise, start tucking it in until it quits......

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It's best to correct the reason someone would want to use those fin things on their motor and if you can't reduce some of the stern weight then use trim tabs that extend your boats planing surface rather than trying to put all the weight on the motor.

The advice about trimming the motor above is the way to do it, you'll get the hang of it and know just by the sound of the motor after a while.

bnu2boats

Cadet
It has been a while since I visited this site, but wanted to thank everyone who gave advice on porpoising with my 94 challenger. Used advice and now can run 50 mph (if I want) with no bounces. Keep motor tucked until on plane, trim up as I accelerate, if bouncing starts tuck back in. No foils needed. Thanks again.