Which Boat Would You Choose

Swampmouse2

Seaman
No the others don't survive, they get merged into one topic. Follow the rules or you get caught. Please don't do this again. Shotgunning the forums is frowned on. We all have to live by rules or chaos results. GA_B , Moderator.

Rule 11. Please do not post multiple threads in multiple forums about a single problem. This is confusing to those trying to help you. Multiple threads in the same forum about the same issue are also confusing. If you want help fast, one thread in the most closely related forum is the best way to get it.

I am in the market for a used ski boat. I have found 2 that seem to be in very good condition for their age.

The first is a 1990 Ski Supreme 19 Tournament with only 350 hours on it. It looks to have been taken immaculate care of, has been stored in dry storage at the marina it lives at all of its life. All gauges and switches work. Recently had a new factory carb and distributor put on (Owner says it was $2200 worth of work...don't know about that). All the maintenance and repair work has always been done at the marina it lives at. Interior looks incredible. The motor is a GM350. I plan to go look at it next week. From what I can tell...the owner has it priced to move ($5500). Says he got a new, larger center console boat, and only one slip. The owner selling it is the 2nd owner, and has only had it for a year.

The 2nd boat, is a 1994 Malibu Flightcraft Sportster. It is being sold by a dealer for only $6000. The interior appears to have recently been re-done. It has a 350 Mercruiser Magnum, new coil, new impeller, "carbs and motor recently serviced". I plan to go look at it tomorrow.

Both are similar in HP, appearance, style, and price ...as I can view from the PC screen. (I know I need to check in person).

I am not new to boating, but I have never owner an inboard before. I have been skiing practically for 30 years, so I have been around boats. I have completely rebuilt my Johnson 115 outboard, and worked on some others.

What I want to know is what boat would YOU choose and why? Any advice / experience on either of these brands or motors?

Looking forward to your responses!

Thanks,
SM

Last edited by a moderator:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
you will probably have them combined to one by a mod this really doesn't belong in engine repair.

Good luck on the purchase

Swampmouse2

Seaman
Um....this is the "NON-REPAIR I/O and Inboard" section...And since my question has to do with the Inboard motors of both, seems legit to me:noidea:
Maybe it will survive.
SM

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Without seeing the boats, and going only on your description, I'd take The Ski Supreme. Seems to well maintained, low hours, and it's being sold by the owner, not a dealer.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Appearances can be extremely deceptive with boats... like smearing lipstick on a pig!!!

What matters is below deck where you can't see, and this is easily covered up with new plywood laid over rotten plywood and covered up with new carpet... add some new vinyl seating and clean/shine the other stuff and voila... you have a very well polished TURD!!!

Don't go by the "looks" and "word-of-mouth" from the owner (he's lying), get a surveyor to look over these boats so you can tell if you're being misled (we see this a lot) by someone that wants to unload a rotten stinking turd of a boat on an unsuspecting newb/wanna be boat owner.

The first boat, has only been owned for 1 year by the present owner... huge red flag!!! He's looking for a sucker, and you may be the one if you don't get a surveyor.

Any fiberglass boat more than 5 yrs. old for sale has the potential for horrific nightmares if not examined by a professional, and since you're a newb... you should seek professional help.

... or, we'll see you in the restoration forum whining and crying about how you got ripped off on your first boat purchase... like so many others we've seen. You'll want to know how to make your rotten POS safe and seaworthy for as cheap as possible... but it's going to cost you at least another $2K or more.

Get a surveyor!

oldjeep

Admiral
I'd buy the Malibu - what the heck is a ski supreme? ;)

Seriously though. Check the Malibu, it was in the timeframe when they were discontinuing use of any wood in their boats so it may be completely wood free if you are lucky.

Swampmouse2

Seaman
Wood free.....that could be nice! I actually went and looked at the Malibu this afternoon. I think I am passing. It has some dry rot on rubber items (expected), had some fading on the top of the boat, and some oxidation on the top as well. Some small "starter cracks" in some of the vinyl. Nothing terrible though. I learned it is on consignment there, and to take it for a test drive, they wanted me to come with cash in hand, and unless there was something wrong with the test drive, I was committing to buy it! THAT was one huge red flag for me. I don't do business that way..commit to buy before you drive. Crazy, especially since the boat ramp is literally 2 minutes from their lot. Psycho!

BTW Jigngrub, I am not a newb to boats. I got 2 sitting in my yard right now. I just have never owned an inboard before, and don't really know a ton about those two brand other than they are both good performance brands. The surveyor is a great idea, and i have already thought about that as well.

Thanks for the input.

SM

oldjeep

Admiral
It is to discourage tire kickers. You look at boat and decide yup if it drives ok I'm buying.