OK to remove seat from boat?

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd like to remove a box seat in my 14' smokercraft v- hull fishing boat. It has a front and rear bench just like a row boat, but the center row is differant. There are two storage boxes, making the cockpit look like it has a "split bench".

The starboard side is rivited to the side and screwed to the floor. My fear is if I remove this box, will the structure be weakened? I'd like to install my driving station here.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know if this info is good but found it in the yellow pages 68143 Clunette St, New Paris, IN 46553 (574) 831-2103

Maybe ask the folks who make the boat

jbcurt00

Staff member
And is there anyway to accomplish what you want as a steering station & retain the structural aspects of the bench seat?

You probably are building back some sort of a box, do you intend to put it back in the same or roughly the same place?

And are you removing only 1 side of the split bench?
I have a 14' smokercraft v- hull fishing boat and a new aluminum stering console. I'm looking for advice on how far forward to go with it. I was planning on going right about half way to the bow.

The cable I ordered is too long (D'Oh! ) for that location. When I was mocking it up, I came across the idea of pushing it farther forward and possibly sti using my cable.

How far is too far?
Same boat, right?

Many time's it's best to start a boat Topic over in the resto forum and put all your questions there. If I had noticed the boat & console Topic, I wouldn't have asked about putting the console in roughly the same place as the bench you want to remove.....

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The short answer is no. The box contains flotation, so, structural or not its a compromise of safety.

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes this box has a small amount of foam which I could relocate or replace it

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm planning to hit the pond this weekend to try out steering positions

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it is structural can I cut it down so it forms a gusset bracing the side thereby removing most of the box

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another question... maybe I should post it in the engine section? But you guys said to keep it all together so I'm not sure. Can I fabricate a "tilt tube" for my older motor instead of using the transom mount clamp?

NYBo

Admiral
If it is structural can I cut it down so it forms a gusset bracing the side thereby removing most of the box

Maybe, maybe not, hard to say without laying hands on it. You'd be concentrating forces in a lot smaller area than with the factory configuration, which could potentially lead to problems with cracking down the road.