Cutting hull for engine removal?

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I decided I'm going to yank the engine and gimbal housing over the winter for a rebuild. My 'new to me' boat has next to no access as far as an engine hatch. Think of a van hood. Only the front half of the engine is easily accessible, the back half of the engine, steering components, etc are all hidden away under fiberglass.

The rear seat is molded into the floor, even if I cut the seat out I don't think the engine could squeeze out. I was thinking of cutting the gunwhales at the front of the engine hatch opening, removing the rub rail and upper (deck?) screws to remove the whole back sundeck/swim platform section.

cut.jpg

Hey JaCripsy - I did something similar with my bass boat. There was no need to remove the entire cap so I cut with a saw like your picture, removed the rivets and popped just the back off. I have since reinstalled it and the only thing I did was reinforce the area where the cut is/was with backing. It worked fine for me but others may have a different opinion.

oldjeep

Admiral
There is really no way to remove the engine without cutting the boat?

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
idonthaveaname - any photos of that?

oldjeep - No. It would be like trying to pull an engine up through a 70's van hood.

Right in front of the crank pulley is a bulkhead between the stringers with the fuel tank in front of that. I don't think there's enough room that way. Plus there's still restricted access to the transom, steering and gimbal.

IMG_6777.jpg

Last edited:
Hey JaCripsy - I did something similar with my bass boat. There was no need to remove the entire cap so I cut with a saw like your picture, removed the rivets and popped just the back off. I have since reinstalled it and the only thing I did was reinforce the area where the cut is/was with backing. It worked fine for me but others may have a different opinion.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
I have seen it done on a similar boat. Remove the bulkhead, engine hatch & seat, then lift motor up slightly, pull it forward towards cockpit, then lift out.

tpenfield

Staff member
+1^^^^^. I would avoid making cuts to the extent that you have planned. See what additional access you can gain by removing the rear seat assembly. If needed, cut only the area that the engine needs to come up through, not the entire width of the cap.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I just finished pulling a 5.7 out of a 226 Cobalt, and have pulled engines from a quite a few boats. I have a hard time believing that you can't pull enough stuff out in front to give you enough room. I always have to take off the engine hatch/sundeck. Try and see if your bulkhead by the fuel tank can be removed, Mine was removable. Good luck and let us know what you find. Maybe you could pick up the front of the engine to just clear. Dave-R.

Bondo

Staff member
I just finished pulling a 5.7 out of a 226 Cobalt, and have pulled engines from a quite a few boats.I have a hard time believing that you can't pull enough stuff out in front to give you enough room. I always have to take off the engine hatch/sundeck. Try and see if your bulkhead by the fuel tank can be removed, Mine was removable. Good luck and let us know what you find. Maybe you could pick up the front of the engine to just clear. Dave-R.

Ayuh,.... I too, have pulled alota motors outa alota hulls, 'n never once did I Have to butcher the hull like that,.....

Ya either remove enough "Boat" to get at it, or partially tear down the motor to make it smaller,......

I've got a Slickcraft 195SS with a 350 Alpha in it, in the fleet I maintain....
The exhaust has to come off to fit the motor in, or outa it's hatch,...
Real Easy to work on, so long as standin' on yer Head is Ok with you,.... yer upside-down the entire time,...

Years ago, We pulled a 427 Ford outa a Huge Chris-craft Constellation,...
Ya had to strip the motor, 'n hand carry the parts, out through the salon, 'n out a side door,....
4 men carried the short block out,...
I didn't help put it back in,....

Last edited: