rough water capability

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
On that note, have you found that when looking at charts, (and you see the depth change) are there any guidelines to help anticipate conditions? For example, if I was moving from an area of 40 fathoms to one of 20 in depth, can I expect a certain rate of change in waves per change in depth? Does that make sense?

The rule of thumb is that the thickness of water affected is equivalent to half of the wavelength of a wind wave.

Using your 3 ft. x 2 second example, the wave would have a wavelength of less than 20 ft. This would make the wave less than 10 ft. deep. Moving from a deep of 40 fathoms (240 ft.) to 20 fathom (120 ft.) would have absolutely no effect on the waves.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

vinnie1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What Ocean? Dominate or average wave period?

The wave periods on the Pacific is very different from the Atlantic, which are very different from the North Sea.

This station off N. Carolina has an yearly average wave under 6 seconds with dominant wave periods @10 http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/view_climplot.php?station=41025&meas=wa

No particular ocean in mind - I more or less was looking at the data for curiosities sake (research) and noticed that the intervals seem a lot longer in general on the ocean than on the great lakes. I also noticed that the waves on the ocean tend to be swells more than chop (storms excepted). My point was simply that a 6 or 8 foot wave on the ocean wouldn't be nearly as scary as the same thing on the great lakes as the interval will be much shorter. Perhaps I am wrong about that? If I get the math right - a wave with a 4 second interval will travel at about 12 knots and a wave with a 12 second interval will travel at 36kn. If I was in a following sea, I sure as hell couldn't outrun the ocean wave.

I think I have my questions answered as to the reasonable limits of the boat and when I should stay home. The other part of the equation is about how to spot danger areas on charts and avoid them. I understand that underwater topography creates situations that you can drive into unwittingly, but perhaps being able to look at the charts and understand how the waves will change (without the influence of weather) is just as important as knowing when to stay home - or watching the sky.
I guess there is also currents/tides to think about as well. Geez. Lots to learn here.

Thalasso

Commander
Open bow in rough water without a cover is a disaster waiting to happen. One good wave over the bow and the second will probably sink you. You have no way to get rid of the water in those types of boats.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Open bow in rough water without a cover is a disaster waiting to happen. One good wave over the bow and the second will probably sink you. You have no way to get rid of the water in those types of boats.

Are you talking about the snap on bow cover?

vinnie1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The snap on cover would be better than nothing, but probably not strong enough to deflect a big wave. In the winter when I re-do the floor, I plan on making a 2 piece platform setup with a water tight stow and bilge that covers the walkway and a hardtop with pedestal seat for fishing. The pedestal will be removable and I will have a hard top for the bow that seals water tight against the windshield.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
The snap on cover would be better than nothing, but probably not strong enough to deflect a big wave. In the winter when I re-do the floor, I plan on making a 2 piece platform setup with a water tight stow and bilge that covers the walkway and a hardtop with pedestal seat for fishing. The pedestal will be removable and I will have a hard top for the bow that seals water tight against the windshield.

Be sure to post pictures of what you come up with.