wet blige

wtg2320

Seaman
everytime it rains my blige gets very wet. I am worried about the wood getting too wet and starting to rot. I have a snap on tarp and I have been covering it with another tarp and it still gets wet in the blige. Does anybody have any ideas on why this would continue to be getting wet. it is definitely from the rain I check it after each rain and it is the same thing. It is a glastron 16ft with an I/O mercruiser. I have tried everything I can think of the keep the water out. Thanks for any help.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Only 1 possibility.....the cover(s) is (are) not keeping the water out. You need secure inside storage, or buy a high quality cover. If yor are using blue tarps, that's the reason!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
It's a simple answer...... you have a leak in the canvas, the windshield base or other places. Do you dock or trailer your boat? When was the last time the seals were checked on the I/O? Water can be raining in and sneaking in past the top of the outdrive.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Just leave the hull drain plug out, 'n it'll self drain,.....

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
If you have the space buy one of those 600 dollar carports....... or even one of those temporary carports they sell at farm supply stores or northern tools....

If that is out of the question crawl inside the boat next time it's raining have someone resecure the cover and look around and find out where the water is finding it's way in.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Ayuh,.... Just leave the hull drain plug out, 'n it'll self drain,.....

And make sure to tip the front of the boat up so it will drain. I'd be more worried about the upholstery than a little bilge water. Are you finding anything above deck that is wet?

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you don't have anything propping the center of the tarps up, water may be pooling on the cover. Once it does, it will usually weep thru many boat covers. I use an inexpensive gray PVC tent like frame to raise the centerline of the tarp to keep the tarp from sagging. By reducing the sagging, I reduce the chance of water pooling.

Store the boat bow high, and like Bondo said, leave the drain plug out and any water that gets in, has a much better shot of getting out.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Wet bilges make rotten stringers and decks. Propping up and pullin the plug just makes the rot take longer. The solution is don't let the water get in.